NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a quandary ... I have to decide which beetle to let go :( ... Given the ages of my original three, I spend the majority of my time and budget working them and as a result Cowboy sits still and alone in the garage; which turned it into a donor car. :( I have realized that despite my skills, I cannot maintain four NB's, nor do I have the budget to let someone help me do it.

So I was wondering if my fellow org'ers could help me put together a Pro-N-Con list; I have created my own list, but I can always find justification to keep each one.

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
Ok I'm fairly new here but I'll give you two separate answers:

The logical answer is to let go of whichever one needs the most work in the future in order to save you money.

The more 'biased' answer is to let the Silver one go because yellow Beetles are always a 'looker' and always make people smile for some reason. Of course, being a yellow Beetle owner that's why I would say that...:wink:

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
OH MY GOSH...DONT DO IT!!
Rework your budget AND recruit those OTHER (your kids) drivers to join in on their new beetle maintenance and repair. They may not be too keen on the idea but,it is the reality of car ownership/responsibility. Dad can't and shouldn't have to do it all alone. It's a nice parental gesture in the beginning but there comes a time when the kids need to learn and/or help dear ol'dad out with the never ending task of KEEPING THEIR new beetles happy,healthy and ALIVE.

Sounds like it may be time for a family meeting of the minds. ;)

I'm sure each and everyone of your new beetles are chocked full of fond memories,stories and experiences so I feel you pain. Mine are like family members to me. Putting one up for adoption would be unthinkable. :(

Wishing you the BEST of luck with your family matter

Your neighbor in TN
Sandi
:)

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
The one in the worst condition. Easy.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some back story ...

Regarding continued maintenance, which excludes Cowboy; I fix one, move to the next, then the next, back to the beginning, it is becoming a frustrating circle.

macrobin and dyned

The Silver one (Cowboy) would appear to be the obvious choice; however I have all the parts to put it back together, except the coolant hoses and the secondary water pump. So for the most part the motor will be "New" from the block up, when I am done.

And yes, three shades of Yellow in the driveway look more impressive than silver.

Round cars

Yes, you are absolute right and I have been trying that; I do get some help, I just cannot get them to take the initiative and to do it on their own.

Memories that is an understatement; the last clutch work that I did led to developing a hernia.

My '98, Valdez, is my original and I bought it new; too much blood, sweat and tears in this one to let it go.

My oldest Sons '99, HiLiter, is an oddity, it is not the Special Edition Isotope Green which came out in 2001; as it is a 1999 and the actual color is Lemon Yellow, with the Panama Interior.

My wife's '00T, Dear, is the Reflex Yellow version that was paired with the Vapor during the internet sales campaign when they were first released. We got this used from the Mazda Dealer in '03.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, keep the yellow ones and remember when you get that hernia fixed buddy, BE CAREFUL! I had a double ingunal repaired last November 1st. Well one side healed up just fine, but the other side still hurts pretty bad,almost 11 months later. By the way, I got mine pushing a car into the shop. :) Go figure...:rolleyes:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
~~I just cannot get them to take the initiative and to do it on their own.

You are just going to have to put your foot down with your boys! There is absolutely NO logical reason why you or your dear wife should have to give up YOUR cars (Valdez,Cowboy or Dear) to accommodate for you sons "energy conservativeness". With that said if you choose one of the boys vehicles they would probably be walking,sulking a bit AND trying to borrow YOUR cars until they can save $$$$ for Something else BUT....YOU DO KNOW WHATEVER THEY FIND TO BUY THEY WILL BRING IT TO YOU FOR MAINTENANCE,REPAIR AND/OR FUNDS (bank-of-mom&dad) to pay some shop to do the repair if you are not able to do it. So,you REALLY haven't solved anything. You will just have some boring ol pickup truck,Ford,Kia,Chevy etc.,sitting in your driveway haunting you.

Huuummm...? So,what size SHOE do you wear?? You AND the wife need to spell it out for the boys so they understand.

~~Memories that is an understatement; the last clutch work that I did led to developing a hernia.

IF you have to PLAY THE 'DADS GETTING OLD CARD' and remind them of your HERNIA go for it!!

Wishing you the best
;)

·
Registered
875 Posts
D2beetle, i can only imagine your feelings, selling my '98 was hard, but Herbie is a dream in comparison :)

Sometimes, you have to shove the kids out of the nest, my parents did it to us, we are responsible for our own vehicle maintenance and have seen what happens when you don't do it. My brother does some of the work on my beetles in exchange for other things.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Keep the yellow ones! They are SPECIAL!!!!!:)
That is an understatment! :D

Yes, keep the yellow ones and remember when you get that hernia fixed buddy, BE CAREFUL! I had a double ingunal repaired last November 1st. Well one side healed up just fine, but the other side still hurts pretty bad,almost 11 months later. By the way, I got mine pushing a car into the shop. :) Go figure...:rolleyes:
This makes my foruth one; actually the third one reopening ... it was a double orignally.

Okay I've shown 'HiLiter' to my husband and we've both agreed you should sell that one to us! We would take that one in a 'New York minute'! :)
Do not temp me! My oldest upset the other day and I would have let it go if asked then; :eek:hnoes: I gotta calm down!

~~I just cannot get them to take the initiative and to do it on their own.

You are just going to have to put your foot down with your boys! There is absolutely NO logical reason why you or your dear wife should have to give up YOUR cars (Valdez,Cowboy or Dear) to accommodate for you sons "energy conservativeness". With that said if you choose one of the boys vehicles they would probably be walking,sulking a bit AND trying to borrow YOUR cars until they can save $$$$ for Something else BUT....YOU DO KNOW WHATEVER THEY FIND TO BUY THEY WILL BRING IT TO YOU FOR MAINTENANCE,REPAIR AND/OR FUNDS (bank-of-mom&dad) to pay some shop to do the repair if you are not able to do it. So,you REALLY haven't solved anything. You will just have some boring ol pickup truck,Ford,Kia,Chevy etc.,sitting in your driveway haunting you.

Huuummm...? So,what size SHOE do you wear?? You AND the wife need to spell it out for the boys so they understand.

~~Memories that is an understatement; the last clutch work that I did led to developing a hernia.

IF you have to PLAY THE 'DADS GETTING OLD CARD' and remind them of your HERNIA go for it!!

Wishing you the best
;)
... "energy conservativeness", now I do not think that I have ever heard it put that way before ;) ... Foot size 13 EEE, and I have used it; ruined a really good pair of running shoes once ... I play the old man and hernia card all the time, that is how I get their help. Getting them to do it without my help is the challenge. If I do sell my oldest sons NB, I will charge him "Taxi Rates" and "Maintenance Fees" for using my car; I have done that to him in the past when his car was down for maintenance. When my oldest was getting his drivers license, the topic of what kind of car to get went this way ... "I am getting you a Beetle, because we already have two and I have the diagnostic software for them. If you want another vehicle, you are on your own."

D2beetle, i can only imagine your feelings, selling my '98 was hard, but Herbie is a dream in comparison :)

Sometimes, you have to shove the kids out of the nest, my parents did it to us, we are responsible for our own vehicle maintenance and have seen what happens when you don't do it. My brother does some of the work on my beetles in exchange for other things.
Feelings :crying: ... Getting the kids out, that has always been the plan; we are putting our retirement plans together and in 2-3 years, want to move into a condo complex that is "car friendly" with a two car garage, with no extra bedrooms for the children! :D

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I'm with Round Cars on this one, and all the way. The more NBs that are restored and/or maintained, the better. This is the only way to make the car collecting world acknowledge that these are special cars, just as worthy of admiration as any air-cooled Volkswagen. If enough NBs are left to die in a scrapyard, they would become about as historically significant as a Plymouth Horizon, and we just can't have that! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts