NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
silverspeedbuggy said:
Hi all--
I preparing to enter the hunt for a new job. I have a fabulous resume (thanks in great part to Org members!) and am starting to think about the interview process.

What do you normally do to prepare for an interview?
I usually down a fitfth of scotch and grow some stubble. i love scotch!
Scothy scotch scotch...

Or you can try to constant smile and never break eye contact routine. Also doesn't hurt to ask alot of questions of your own.

john

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Ask lots of questions! Even if you think it is something obvious or if it's something you already know (they don't know you know it.) I actually went through a round of interviews earlier this year for a job, and on the third interview, they took me out to lunch. I thought I had it in the bag! Well, turns out I didn't ask enough questions. I was like, dang, I knew everything I could have possibly known about the job and the company! They didn't think I was that interested in the job, or I would have asked more questions. *sigh* Oh well, another lesson learned.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
silverspeedbuggy said:
What do you normally do to prepare for an interview?
go to their website. check out the company.
make a list of questions to ask.
ask for a job description when you get there.
research the salary for said position.
be informed, but most of all, be yourself. ;)

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, all of the things already mentioned I've been considering, especially the "questioning" part. Thankfully I'm far enough along in my professional career to know that I have the assets that would benefit any company, now I need a company that will appreciate me and will take care of me. Jeez, I hope that doesn't sound conceited, I truly mean it as confidence. I am lucky enough to work with a a great group of people in my current job and am interested to know about the team I would be working with at a new company. I'm interested in their culture; how do they work day to day, what's their problem solving process, how do they handle disagreements amongst team members, what would make want to work for them, besides traditional benefits what else do they offer their employees, what does the company do to develop their workers, what kind of training can I expect, etc, etc, etc. Enough people have told me what a huge asset I am to the company I currently work for that any company would be blessed to have me. This has been brought to my attention over the past two months and it really has taken me this time to really understand it and let it sink. Of course I would never say these things in an interview so as not to come off as 'full of myself' which I truly am not.

I am interested to hear what others do to prepare for an interview on top of what I was planning.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
I was going to say the scotch, and no shave routine, but then I am usually the one being recruited so I can get away with it.

First off, know something about the company. You don't have to know everything, just enough so that you can ask the right question of the interviewer to show that you care about what your potential employer does.

Second, relax. I have interviewed, and been interviewed many times over the years, and personally there is nothing I dislike more in a candidate than one who cannot relax. Sitting around figeting with your tie, papers you brought with you, etc. All annoying.

Third, turn off your cellphone/pager. Should be obvious.

Fourth, have multiple copies of your resume, and know what is on it. Again, this is one of those things that should be obvious, but I have interviewed people with no idea what they put on their resumes.

Fifth, dress appropriately. I was turned away from a job for over dressing. Find out what the dress code for the company is. I showed up for an interview in a suit and tie at a company that wears t-shirts and shorts. Turned away. I interviewed with a Bank (shirt and tie), and showed up in a polo shirt and khakis. Job offer straight away (basically, I was wearing the IT department uniform).

Sixth, eye contact. For some reason interviewers like that (I don't)

Seventh, when asked, do not give a desired salary. Say "I am prepared to consider the best offer you have". If they press you on a range, say something like, "I don't want to give a salary range, because I am more interested in the position" or something like that. If they continue to press, try and get the interviewer to divulge the salary range. Be tactful, but be firm.

That's it. Every interview I have done, where I followed those rules netted me a job offer. Unfortunately, IT salaries are declining, so I have had to turn down those jobs, because the companies were unwilling to pay close to what I am asking.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
silverspeedbuggy said:
Thankfully I'm far enough along in my professional career to know that I have the assets that would benefit any company, now I need a company that will appreciate me and will take care of me. Jeez, I hope that doesn't sound conceited, I truly mean it as confidence.
don't ever undersell yourself! you're great and you know it, and that's a good thing. confidence is a good thing to exude, esp in an interview. sounds like you have a lot to offer - congrats! best wishes on your job hunt. it's not easy out there, but behind all the resumes and papers and questions, there are some great people waiting to be hired. make sure you're one of them. :)

dgoldbe2 - great tips. i myself like eye contact. if i am not making eye contact with someone, it means i am not confident or i have no respect for someone. however, that's not the case for everyone, i know.

i totally agree on the salary thing. this is a hard thing to do and can be quite the balancing act. i am negotiating my salary right now, and it's a hard thing to do, expecially if you're a woman. i've always been told to let them do the talking. don't budge. if they ask you what your salary range IS, ask them what the salary range of the job IS. so on and so forth.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
As others have mentioned, research your potential employer and formulate ideas about how you can help them achieve their goals. Speaking from experience on both sides of the fence - potential employers are very interested in your qualifications and needs, but they are far more interested in their own needs and requirements. Your odds go up if you can accurately demonstrate that you are the best fit for that particular job with that particular employer.

Good Luck!

-dave

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I haven't had a job interview for awhile, but I remember something usefull. Make sure your glasses are squeeky clean!

Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes. :)

·
I <3 my band!
1,149 Posts
I hate switching jobs just because of the interviews.

I get really nervous and my palms get sweaty.. nothing more embarrassing than shaking someones hand to see them immediately wipe their hand on their pant leg.

So, if you're like me, wear something absorbant that you can quicky wipe your hand on first :D but make sure its not a material that will have a handprint on it afterwards.

moral of the story, play it C:cool::cool:L

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
silverspeedbuggy said:
How did you know I wear glasses that are usually smudgy!?
I didn't. I just know that I was told this! :D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Don't look desperate, just enthusiatic

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
RELAX!!!
Get plenty of rest the night before

A little meditation the night before never hurts either (envision yourself aceing the questions and very attentitive)

Have a good breakfast and eat a little snack to keep your gullet at bay (nothing worse than a growling stomach during the interview)

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Keep the Faith
33 Posts
prepare your wardrobe ahead of time. nothing's worse than finding out at the last minute that you have to iron your shirt or finding out that you don't have clean shirt. i hate rushing around before going any important event/meeting - it makes me flustered and look.....blah.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts