VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When what happens? When someone like a relative, co-worker, or whoever tells you in person, not on an Internet discussion forum, that VWs or specifically, modern Beetles are junk?

I try to bite my tongue and ignore these people for as long as I can and realize that not everyone likes our cars, and when this happens online, it's easy to simply avoid going to the site. But after a while, with personal encounters of this nature, I'm almost ready to explode, because when somebody says the car I love is a POS, that's hitting below the belt.

You see, as passionate as I am about the 98+ Beetles, this isn't like saying that some food you like tastes horrible or that a band you like sucks, but to me, it's rather like saying that your daughter is easy........

I don't want to lower myself to their level, but at the same time, it's tempting to say two words, the first beginning with the letter F.:mad:

How do you react?

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I just pity them. I feel sorry for stupid people. :)

·
Black Velvet
1,129 Posts
I've owned a few different cars ranging from Ford, Toyota, Nissan, I even drove a couple of Hondas, and I'll tell you none of them have the personality and style like the Beetle has. When I first got my Altima I had a few compliments for the first 4 months I have had it, but after a while it died out. The car was boring and too conservative; the only time the car would mean something is if you would start to customize the car completely. With the Beetle you can leave it stock and still be the center of attention. I've owned my Bug since brand new and people still can't stop talking about it. I've had people from all walks of life given me the thumbs up every time I passed by, I even had people that drive $120,000 Mercedes and Porsches come by and cannot stop talking about how much they love my Bug. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion of what cars do they like, but I'll tell you this I have never had so much fun with the other cars than what I have with a Volkswagen. They are my brand for life.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I just pity them. I feel sorry for stupid people. :)

Yup....what Deb said.

Sent from my Peace Love and "Six for Six" app

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I think for many people; a car is something, that gets them from point a to point b, in the cheapest and most cost efficient way possible (devoid of any emotion; a utilitarian object that is a functional part of their daily lives). I think with German and European cars in general; you have to have a connection with the car, to be able to be dedicated to maintaining and paying the needed attention, upkeep, that it takes... to keep it on the road. Some people's threshold for pain is low! :p I guess if you are intimately connected to something; you willing to put up with allot more (I still think the example of a dysfunctional love affair; works well here), other people just don't get it and how could they, without a special connection to the object of our affection? :D Rational? Probably not but to a degree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :cool: We are talking about human emotions here; in relation to a car, no wonder they don't get it! :) Much of the reactions to our cars, on this site; tend to be anthropomorphizing them, now... THAT indicates a connection to a mechanical object, that most people, will NEVER understand. SO, don't get hurt when people seem to trash your/our car; they don't get it, how could they?

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
There is something completely different about European cars.
-They have a sole.
-They are not point A to point B transportation.
-Their styling lasts decades.
-Their use of interior space excels.
-Their build quality is always outstanding.
-They make their power (torque) down low, where it's used.

Rarely if ever, do I see, or get in anything else, that holds a candle to any European vehicle. Everything else just looks like everything else. I have no idea how these people find their cars in parking lots. Seriously...how do they?

Quick story; we rented a Dodge Charger while on vacation a year ago. I was interested to see what one would be like. I was over that car in about 5min. Huge on the outside, zero room on the inside, and extremely poor visibility. I couldn't stand driving it, and once parked in a lot, we had to activate the parking lights with the remote, in order to find it. It looked like everything else.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Very simple response comes to mind. Patrick Swayze had a come back line when someone tried to insult him:

"Well, Opinions Vary"

Say it with a smile and walk away.

S-

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Good points all the way around.

In a lot of cases, someone void of carrying an intelligent conversation, and retort, defaults to name calling & insults. It would be too easy to say, "how's that chevy (Toyota & even Honda) recall working for ya"? you could also bring to their attention that the New Beetle is nothing more than a Golf with different skin. Either response would bring yourself to their level, as well as accomplishing nothing, in a childish & ignorant a conversation.

And then there's the fact that our cars are so unique. if you don't fit into the Stepford wives Automotive circle of conformity, some folk tend to wig out. you'd be surprised at how some tear down others to bolster their own significance.

The Swayze reply would work though :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
People who talk smack about these cars have never driven them, or seen the looks on the faces of the ricers or motorcycle drivers caught up by one on a twisty road somewhere.

They don't get it never will, Don't waste a second of your life on them.

Think from now on I'll just say

"Well opinions vary"

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, I love that Swayze response myself. Never heard that one, and it sure beats, well, you know.....

There's not only something different about European cars, but Beetles, new or old, are in a class all by themselves. The closest comparisons I can think of would be those who are passionate about Minis or Fiat 500s, but in this country, the Beetle, the lovable Bug, predates both of those by decades.

I didn't even get my first NB until 2009, but once VW decided to bring the Beetle back in 1998, I knew I would have one some day, and since I went to my first Roswell GTG in 2011, I've become very addicted not only to this unique family of water-cooled Beetle people, but the cars themselves. This emotional attachment, this bonding, to both the passionate individuals who have been on this site and attend NB/12+ specific events as well as the cars, trumps any reported "reliability" issues, real or imagined, and I believe this is what those armchair auto anaylists in places like the Car Lounge, as well as a large portion of the air-cooled crowd that dismisses our Beetles as "chick cars," "re-skinned Golfs", (or both), simply don't get. I also often wonder how different the VW landscape would be today if the Golf would have never had the opportunity to be "reskinned." What if, back in the mid-70s, the Beetle itself would have switched to radiators , FWD, and a front engine instead of being replaced with the Golf to begin with?
Speculative as that may be, I still believe that if that had taken place, not only would the ugly division among VW enthusiasts that still goes on today have been far shorter-lived, but VW sales in the US would be double what they are now, and hence those armchair "experts" wouldn't have anything to talk about. I'm very tempted to post this thought in the Car Lounge, for currently, the bashers are having a field day rubbing it in that VW's sales in the US are slipping again. BUT...I've made a vow to never post there again, and so I won't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really get razzed about mine

With mine looking like it does everyone notices him.
Sometimes I get people laughing at it and other times I hear 'what a peice of crap' and other times people follow me and want me to pull over so they can look at it and take pictures of it.
But I did not put this little car together for anyone but myself and I guard this little guy from harm.

·
152 Posts
Love the "Herbie" look. Very well done. I think you should take it a step further and get the classic wheels with hub caps and beauty rings!

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my case they'd be right

After 12 Minnesota winters and after hitting a light post last week, they'd be right. But don't get me wrong, i stll love the car and plan on replaceing it with another one. That would be my 4th beetle, 74,98,02!

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After 12 Minnesota winters and after hitting a light post last week, they'd be right. But don't get me wrong, i stll love the car and plan on replaceing it with another one. That would be my 4th beetle, 74,98,02!
I can relate to the winters. We're practically neighbors. I'm over in Eau Claire. As long as I'm on here, do you know anyone in the Twin Cities area that would like to be in a water-cooled Beetle club? Another orger and I started one, North Country Water Beetles, but the two of us are the only people that seem to be interested, and he's away training for a new job at the moment, so it's kind of on an indefinite hold. :(

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Some people just don't get the whole Beetle thing. Herbies are cool!
It's kinda cool that this through the org's history thread keeps emerging. It shows not only the ignorant adolescence still exists, but the passion for these little round cars endure through these, the org members and new beetle enthusiasts.

·
152 Posts
This particular thread was inspired by a culmination of 3 different people I came across saying that New Beetles are pieces of crap within a 48 hour timespan. One of them was my sister's significant other. My restraint was definitely put to the test.
Well, even if that statement were true, I'd still rather own an NB or something else from VAG, than be caught dead in 99.9% of what everyone else is Lemming around in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts