NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jeremy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first new beetle ,and it warms up way faster than any car I've ever owned. I'm not getting any trouble codes and no warning lights ,or buzzers ,but heating up so fast had me worried ,so I just wanted to know if its normal ,and if not what should I look at first to make sure my car doesn't over heat?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
Where do you live? How fast is it warming up? And are you talking about the time for the blue light to go out or for the heat to start getting hot? Both of the VWs I've owned get the heat going faster than our Honda.

·
Registered
512 Posts
According to my beetle, it takes only 5-10 minutes for the blue coolant temp light to go off when ambient temp is below 10C. When ambient temp is over 20C it takes shorter. However this doesn't mean the car is fully warmed up. The light goes off when coolant temp is over 60C but normal operating temp is over 90C. You don't need to worry about it as long as the coolant system is functioning properly.

·
Jeremy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Idaho. It's not that cold yet around 60F. The blue light gos out ,and the heater is putting out warm air at 3 to 5 blocks which is far faster than any car I've ever driven. Didn't know if there was something wrong ,or is my beetle just a better car than the rest. Thanks for your help.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
My GTI gets up to temp in probably a mile and is blasting hot air not long after. My NB wasn't that fast, but my blend door was also spewing foam so the air didn't get quite as hot (didn't realize it until I got my GTI though...I have to turn the heat off within about 5 miles!).

·
Jeremy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$1200 (water pump, timing belt, pulley, fan control unit, a couple of new dings, and a little grease on my seats)later. I think I may be over the heat problem.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Ouch, actually double ouch, if you read on here today what another Orger just paid to have it done, under $500. And probably without the dings and grease, which regardless of the price, are totally unacceptable.

M.

·
Jeremy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't mention the over heating because that part just seemed to come out of no were. one second it was fine the next I had the loud warning tone and flashing red temp light. since I herd you don't mess around with that ,and I didn't want to ruin a car I just bought I parked it then towed it to the shop the next day. I have taken other cars to them when I felt I was over my head ,with good results ,but this trip left me with a bad tast in my mouth. Don't think I'll go back.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I didn't mention the over heating because that part just seemed to come out of no were. one second it was fine the next I had the loud warning tone and flashing red temp light. since I herd you don't mess around with that ,and I didn't want to ruin a car I just bought I parked it then towed it to the shop the next day. I have taken other cars to them when I felt I was over my head ,with good results ,but this trip left me with a bad tast in my mouth. Don't think I'll go back.
I missed the fan control module, so there was, no doubt, some diagnosis involved in the $1200, and without seeing the exact list... Anyway, The numbers I see on here, typically, have the TB & WP with all the incidentals, tensioners, serpentine belt etc, at the $650-$850 range from a VW Specialty Independent Shop, Dealers as high as #1200 , so I can see another $350, $00 for daignosis and FCM and whatever else may have been involved. Good call though on not continuing to drive it.

·
Jeremy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's all good I'm just glad I finally got it back on the road. I have always loved the beetle ,and had heard that the new beetles were a bit temperamental I new getting one would have it's problems I had just hoped they wouldn't have popped up so soon. Maybe this time I can drive it a wile before the next one.

·
Jeremy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also need to add I'm very thankful for this site and it's members for all your help. it's really kept me from going in blind on a few things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts