VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got my Gas strut mod done to my hood. I hated that "Prop Stick". So, I ordered the strut and mad a couple mods to mount it and installed it:

Removed:

Couple of Pieces you have to fab:
Lower mounting Tab (fender) and upper mounting tab (hood), (2) ball joints for strut

First you have to do something about this big hole left over from removing the prop stick.

I used a 3/8" bolt, took a 3/8" nut and had to grind it down so that there is only 1/4 of the original width.put a washer on the bolt to keep the bolt head from coming through the hole, screw the ground down nut on to the bolt to make this assembly: (the ground nut takes up the slop in the big hole)

Now you have to make the assembly that bolt to this, which will have the fender strut mounting "ball joint". Metal plate is 1 1/2"wide x 2 1/4" long. Drill 3/8" hole for mounting bolt, and hole for ball joint. ( I machined my own ball joints, you can get them from the steeler or make them yourself)

Here it is mounted in place(Notice the nylon incert lock nut)

Ok now for the hood. the metal plate size is 3/4" wide x 1 1/2" long. Fits in the ares around the hole. (this piece has to be welded in, the sheet metal of the hood is to thin to support the preasure of the strut on its on, and when mounting the ball joint it has to be mounted on the plate where it will be over the existing hole, if not there will not be room for the strut to collapse, it is a close fit.)

If you look close at this you see the black marks about half way up on the bracket? I ended up welding the back side of this where it meets the other sheet metal to strengthin this.

The final product...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts