NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having my ABS light on and the code 01276 signal out of specification for a long time. Now I'm going to share how to solve this problem without paying a penny.

Actually this problem is caused by the bad soldering of the pump connector to the circuit board of the controller. Therefore if your hands are tiny enough to get the controller off the pump it's possible not to disconnect any brake hoses. Unfortunately I didn't know this before so I took the whole pump+controller assembly off so I had to bleed the brake after fixing:mad:

Actually you don't have to disconnect the battery to service ABS. But make sure ignition is not ON. You have to have a special socket to take the 4 screws off to take the controller off. The socket is just the opposite of a torx head that you can insert a torx head into it. On new beetle these 4 screws are on the bottom while on B5 Passat it on the side.

I didn't take pictures of mine just got some pictures from other sources just for reference. Although these pics are for a Passat B5 it's almost the same on Beetle.

As you guys can see on the picture the bad soldering points are circled. If you take off the controller part off you can do the work easier. However it's almost impossible to separate the controller box without damaging it because it's been sealed too good....I used a saw to cut into the trenches on the 4 sides and then pop it up with a flat screwdriver. Be careful not to damage the circuit board. Then after the work I used some hot-melt glue to seal it to make sure no water can enter the box.

For the cause of the problem somebody guess it's because the owner didn't change brake fluid which caused the pump to have a larger current which damages the soldering point. I think it's just a design flaw. The soldering point is too small to handle such a large current.

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Well I'm not sure whether you can make the controller off with the pump in place but I think it's worth a try. The 4 screws are all from the bottom so you don't have to touch the pump.
It is nice to know that an ABS can be fixed in this manner for those who can do this type of work; however the position of the ABS Pump in a Beetle makes it unlikely that you could do it. The purple arrow shows you where the circuit board connector is. You cannot really see the sub-frame but it is there just below the pump and there is a single finger width between them, so the pump would have to be removed.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts