NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

I am taking delivery of an '06 NB TDI the week of Nov. 14. I was wondering if you guys can tell me your opinion of the NB in the snow? I currently have a Jetta TDI and my wife has an Altima; instead of selling my Jetta, I am trying to convince my wife that we should sell her Altima, but she is worried about the New Beetle in the snow. Personally, I don't think it can be any worse than her Altima, which is all over the place in slippery conditions and does not have anti-lock brakes. What can you guys tell me? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Tom
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
I picked mine up in the snow and I had no trouble...then again I have traction control as well. If you have the Michelins, junk them for something better. The Contis do 100x better (that's what I had).

Where did you go to get it? Montesi or Valenti?

Bottom line: it's just like your Jetta. :)
 

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Cheat said:
I picked mine up in the snow and I had no trouble...then again I have traction control as well. If you have the Michelins, junk them for something better. The Contis do 100x better (that's what I had).

Where did you go to get it? Montesi or Valenti?

Bottom line: it's just like your Jetta. :)
Thanks for the info. I have told my wife that the NB has anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, and one of the highest front and side impact ratings in the car industry. I personally think it will be better in the snow than her Altima. My Jetta is not bad in the snow. As for the traction control, I think that is now standard on the 2006 NB TDI.

I actually am going out of state to get my NB. I hooked up with Chris from over on the tdiclub and his dealership in Pennslyvania. He is a good guy and he gave me a good price. I am getting a Shadow Blue automatic with the DSG, Package 1. I have a standard transmission in the Jetta, but my wife doesn't know how to drive it, so I figured the DSG was the way to go this time and I can still shift if I want to when I'm driving it. Well, thanks for your reply.

Tom
 

·
Worry less, drive more
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
Hi there!

Congratulations on your soon to be NB TDI!! :clap: That is very exciting. I bought my 05 almost exactly 1 year ago, so I was able to drive it on some tricky roads here during the winter. I commuted between home(Ft. Collins) and Greeley, CO for school for 1 semester and it did great. I took her on the highway, back roads, all over. What's nice is the ESP light would blink before I even knew there was a problem, so I could slow down and be ready. Northern Colorado doesn't always get a lot of snow, but we do get some nasty ice on the roads and my NB always handled it like a pro. Just be careful as you would with any other car and your car will keep you safe.

Have fun!
Cori
 

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CoriBug said:
Hi there!

Congratulations on your soon to be NB TDI!! :clap: That is very exciting. I bought my 05 almost exactly 1 year ago, so I was able to drive it on some tricky roads here during the winter. I commuted between home(Ft. Collins) and Greeley, CO for school for 1 semester and it did great. I took her on the highway, back roads, all over. What's nice is the ESP light would blink before I even knew there was a problem, so I could slow down and be ready. Northern Colorado doesn't always get a lot of snow, but we do get some nasty ice on the roads and my NB always handled it like a pro. Just be careful as you would with any other car and your car will keep you safe.

Have fun!
Cori
Thank you. What is the ESP light? I don't have one of those on my Jetta....
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
I'll take a picture in the AM. :)

Much easier that way. Basically, the light comes on whenever the system is being used. It flashes when it's activated, but the light stays on if there's a fault in the system (in which case the ABS light will illuminate too).
 

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I did some research and I now know what ESP is. Sounds like it is a great safety feature, and keeps the car under control in difficult circumstances.
 

·
Worry less, drive more
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
Hi there Tom!

Have you convinced your wife yet about selling her Altima? ;) What color will your NB be? I assume you weathered(hehe) the nor'easter/hurricane you had ok.

Cori 'n Daisy
 

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CoriBug said:
Hi there Tom!

Have you convinced your wife yet about selling her Altima? ;) What color will your NB be? I assume you weathered(hehe) the nor'easter/hurricane you had ok.

Cori 'n Daisy
Hi Cori,

I told my wife that the New Beetle is actually much safer than her Altima. Front and side airbags, great front and side impact test ratings, anti-lock breaks, daytime running lights, side mirror signals, and ESP. Her Altima only has front airbags from the list above. So her concern about snow and safety is not a concern with the NB as compared to her 2000 Nissan Altima. Once I get the NB, I will let her drive it and see if she likes it. I am confident she will pick a 2006 NB over her Altima. But if she doesn't, I will sell my Jetta and drive the NB.

The NB is Shadow Blue, which I think is a nice color. We didn't have much in the way of a hurricane/nor'easter in this part of CT, just a lot of rain...no problems here, but they did have some severe flooding upstate.

Take care, thanks for the post.

Tom
 

·
Worry less, drive more
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
Wow, an 06 Shadow Blue and your wife still needs a little more convincing!?!?!? One drive is all it'll take for her to be hooked. You'd better watch out - she'll be in love with the car!!! :D Glad you didn't get washed away by Wilma.

Cori
 

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steinola said:
If it's not too cold to get it started, it'll drive just fine :rolleyes:
I bought my Jetta TDI in 2000 and at the time, we lived in a condo which did not have indoor parking. I was a little worried about the diesel starting up in the winter after sitting outside all night, but for the first 2 winters until we bought a house, it started right up everytime after the glowplug light went off. I must say that now that I keep it garaged all winter, the diesel engine likes the warmer confines much better, but with a good battery, they will start in fairly cold weather. Of course, CT is not Minnesota or North Dakota, but it still gets a few degrees below zero on the coldest nights.
 

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CoriBug said:
Wow, an 06 Shadow Blue and your wife still needs a little more convincing!?!?!? One drive is all it'll take for her to be hooked. You'd better watch out - she'll be in love with the car!!! :D Glad you didn't get washed away by Wilma.

Cori
When I see a Volkswagen, and of course in particular, a New Beetle (or an old one!), I just love them. But I have learned that this is a matter of individual taste, as most people I know cannot grasp why I have the VW logo on the wall in my office and why I have such affection for a New Beetle. My wife is one of those people. I am hopeful that when she actually drives one, she will finally understand and join the club of VW loyalists and enthusiasts.

I actually bought this NB with the full intention of selling my Jetta. Used TDI's are fetching quite a good price right now, and I thought it was a good time to sell and move to the NB because I've always wanted one. But as time grew closer to when I'm taking delivery, I am reluctant to part with my Jetta. Now I'm focused on my wife's tin can of an Altima, even if it means she gets to drive the New Beetle instead of me!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
756 Posts
I was kind of just joshin', Tommy. TDI's will do fine in most cold weather. But it's become something of a joke with my uncle... he owns an old '98 Passat TDI and lives in Wisconsin. We always call him up when the temps hit 20, or 15, or 10 in Madison just to hear him say "yep... it's cold enough that the TDI won't start". He doesn't care... he's retired. I'm sure if he did care, he could probably get it started (maybe just with engine warmers) even then.
 

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
Steinola said:
I was kind of just joshin', Tommy. TDI's will do fine in most cold weather. But it's become something of a joke with my uncle... he owns an old '98 Passat TDI and lives in Wisconsin. We always call him up when the temps hit 20, or 15, or 10 in Madison just to hear him say "yep... it's cold enough that the TDI won't start". He doesn't care... he's retired. I'm sure if he did care, he could probably get it started (maybe just with engine warmers) even then.
It's a 96 or 97 Carl...the TDI left after 97 and didn't return until 2004.5. :) If it's a B4, he could sell it for a good clip right now...people are SCRAMBLING for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I have an '05 Beetle GLS TDI. Since the TDI is only available in the Beetle as a GLS, you should have ESP as standard equipment. ESP is "electronic stability program" and includes ABS (anit-lock brake), ASR (anti-slip regulation), EDL (electronic differential lock), and a yaw sensor in the car. ASR and EDL will greatly reduce wheel spin from a standing start on slick surfaces. The yaw sensor along with the postion of the steering wheel allows ESP to know if the car is going in the direction that you want. If the car is drifting away from the intended direction, the brakes will be individually applied to a specific wheel while power is allied to the opposite side. This can get the car thru corners or out of a slide that your Altima will never handle. Hopefully, you got the 6 speed DSG transmission. This is one sweet transmission. There is no way I would drive an Altima when you can drive an '06 Beetle.
 

·
Go Sox!
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dick_Larimore said:
I have an '05 Beetle GLS TDI. Since the TDI is only available in the Beetle as a GLS, you should have ESP as standard equipment. ESP is "electronic stability program" and includes ABS (anit-lock brake), ASR (anti-slip regulation), EDL (electronic differential lock), and a yaw sensor in the car. ASR and EDL will greatly reduce wheel spin from a standing start on slick surfaces. The yaw sensor along with the postion of the steering wheel allows ESP to know if the car is going in the direction that you want. If the car is drifting away from the intended direction, the brakes will be individually applied to a specific wheel while power is allied to the opposite side. This can get the car thru corners or out of a slide that your Altima will never handle. Hopefully, you got the 6 speed DSG transmission. This is one sweet transmission. There is no way I would drive an Altima when you can drive an '06 Beetle.
Thanks for all the info. While I have a stick in my Jetta, I got the DSG in the NB specifically so that my wife could drive this car, since she doesn't know how to drive a standard and has no desire to learn. I have heard nothing but good things about the DSG, and there is very little fuel economy difference between the two, so it must shift very smoothly and at the right times.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top