VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2002 NB GLS. The emblem on the engine hood is weathered and I'd like to remove it, repaint it, and place it back on the car. My question is how is it attached to the car? There is no obvious bolt or screw. Is it glued on?

Thanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
432 Posts
It's glued. Try heating it up with a hair-dryer and gently prying it off. You could also try to cut it off with some dental floss.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
It's a PITA to remove. The hair dryer did not help at all but the dental floss got enough of the top off so I could pour some vegetable oil in there. That loosened it enough so I could pull it off. Good luck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It is definately attached with glue of some type. I removed mine a couple of days ago because it was crooked. I tried to straighten it out and it came off. I think that after some years the glue holding it on just dries out. I just cleaned the underside of the emblem and the hood where it attaches with rubbing alcohol, then re-attached it with some glue that is for rubber and plastic. After it dried it seems to be attached securely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is definately attached with glue of some type. I removed mine a couple of days ago because it was crooked. I tried to straighten it out and it came off. I think that after some years the glue holding it on just dries out. I just cleaned the underside of the emblem and the hood where it attaches with rubbing alcohol, then re-attached it with some glue that is for rubber and plastic. After it dried it seems to be attached securely.
What was the name of the glue you used? Thanks!

·
Lay Lady Lay
968 Posts
When I updated my emblems - weused a heat gun and a plastic parts remover tool (that we bought to redo the interior) to pry it off - restuck new ones with gorilla glue after removing all of the excess adhesive with denatured alcohol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yea defiently glue, i used a heat gun to take it off. be careful because the gun will bubble the chrome, and do you use a rubber tool to lift it up. Dont use a screw driver they bend VERY easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts