NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been great help in the past....thanks...but I have one more question.....

I have a 2000 NB with about 125,000 miles on it, and would like your opinion on how long it would be a reliable form of transportation. By reliable, I mean for my 25 year old daughter who will be commuting 25 miles a day (in Cleveland), will drive home (700 miles R/T every other month or so) and will drive on business about 500 miles every month. She really likes the car and would like to drive it another 18 months or so before replacing it. (She's in the military and will get transferred....I figure she will put another 25,000 miles on it before then).

The car spent its first 9 years garaged, cared for, and driven about 100,000 miles. 1/2 highway, 1/2 city. For the last 4 years she has put about 25,000 miles on it, still 1/2 and 1/2, but its been outside in the Michigan winter.

There is no rust on the body.
When we bought it, we had it tuned, new brakes all around, replaced the timing belt, battery and alternator. Since then we have had the mass air sensor replaced as well as the front wheel bearings.

It seems to run well. 2 of the 4 speakers no longer work, and the drivers electric window doesn't work either. The button on the hand brake fell off, but we jury rigged a replacement.

What do you think? I have a lot of car experience, but no VW experience. If it was any other car, I'd think about replacing it. How many GOOD, RELIABLE miles (if any) are still on this car? And if we were to keep it, other than fixing the broke stuff, what would you have done to it?

Thanks.....I really appreciate your honest input.

Mike

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
$

Sorry you did not speicfy if it's an AUTO or Manual Tranny. Depends how much money you want to put into it I believe it'll make another 100k. You might want to look into replacing the fallowing if they have never been done before; control arm bushing , sway bar bushing, ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, struts, cv axles especially if the rubber boots are torn.Replace the brake fluid, gas filter, All those can be DIY Jobs. check your fuse box on top of the battery and put dialectric grease on those soccers cause they tend to corrode plus loose continuity and all SHIFT go's down hill when that happens. Mine has 190+ miles but it's a manual tranny. Good luck man.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual transmission

Sorry....I knew I'd leave something out.... :)

It is a manual transmission........no maintenance has been performed on it that I know of.

Mike

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
tranny fluid

No need to jump into panic mode on that transmission fluid I still have the original fluid in mine and is shifting normal at 193k miles, (whispering-and the original clutch, but everybody drives differently) If you lived up north where the winter cold really effects the tranny fluid/Oil I'd say yea replace it asap.
Remember to only use VW approved coolant and if you have to top it off use only distilled or demineralized water.
I'm thinking of replacing my tranny fluid in the next month or two though......
good luck man

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input

Thanks......although I am pretty handy, I will leave most of this to our local import shop.......we have a German guy who loves VWs! Per your suggestion if we do this, I will probably at least check and probably have him replace the control arm and sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, struts, and cv axles as you indicated as well as the window problem. I can do many of the rest of the filters etc as well as troubleshoot the speaker problem.

I suspect this will cost a couple thousand $$. Edmunds says the car is worth about $2500. The kid loves the car and will probably decide to spend (her) money!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks......although I am pretty handy, I will leave most of this to our local import shop.......we have a German guy who loves VWs! Per your suggestion if we do this, I will probably at least check and probably have him replace the control arm and sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, struts, and cv axles as you indicated as well as the window problem. I can do many of the rest of the filters etc as well as troubleshoot the speaker problem.

I suspect this will cost a couple thousand $$. Edmunds says the car is worth about $2500. The kid loves the car and will probably decide to spend (her) money!

Thanks again.
When you have the car in to fix the window problem, I'd have the mechanic check everything else you listed. On an older car like this, checking these sorts of parts is prudent, but I'd hold off on replacing parts until it is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts