• I'm in the "800 CLUB"

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Cheat: 1000? Holy crap. What do you attribute that too? Are chipped? new injectors? what else? What's your normal driving route? Are you always on the freeway cruising at 60 with no stops/starts?

I'm consistently hitting 700, but have never had a whole tank on just highway miles. I'm confident I could do 800 if I could stand driving 60 for 800 miles. I usually stick the cruise on 65. I'm happy with my 45mpg average though. Would like to bump it up some...but not in a place to drop the money on chip/injectors to get it.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
The 1000mile tank was 50mph from Buffalo-Cleveland-home one weekend.

At the time I was running a 2.5" exhaust with Allard race injectors. SO HARD to keep it at 50...I felt like I was in a reverse time warp. :O)

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I can imagine. With a chip and injectors at 50mph...I wonder what I could get. I wonder if I could stay sane at that speed for that long. 20 hours of driving at that speed. I'd need a good co-pilot and several movies back to back to keep me going and keep my mind off the fact that I'm going so slow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
909 miles. My 98 has the fuel vent removed, and I filled it all the way to the top of the filler neck. Driving conditions were my normal daily 80 mile x 2 commute. NJ highways 80% with the remaining 20% city driving. Some traffic jams. 65 mph cruise speed whenever possibe. Full disclosure: I have a euro 6-speed TDI gearbox, so 65 mph is about 1800 rpm in 6th :)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I once took our TDI on a road trip, and got 725 miles.

I filled up at home, Portland, drove to the South Coast, spent a few days driving around there, then headed home, and filled up on the way home, in Eugene.

This is a map of my trip, with my lousy editing, but you get the idea. Also, a pic of Betel the TDI, at the beach from that trip.

We miss you Betel!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove from West Tn to Western Md on one tank (753 miles). I tried to drive slow (under 65) but that only lasted about 100 miles ;).

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts