NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe they are 14.5 gallons? How many miles do you get to a tank before you have to fill up?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I believe they are 14.5 gallons? How many miles do you get to a tank before you have to fill up?
Your milage may vary, but my 98 averages over 600 miles per tank, best tank was in the summer a few years ago where I got 650 miles on a tank. My driving would be about 65/35 highway/city driving, with highway speed approximately 65 mph.

This would be driving on about 14 gallons of fuel, maybe a bit less, which works out to around 45mpg. Driving a ALH engine code TDI until empty should not be done because the engine has no means of clearing air from its fuel lines and will vapor lock if the lines to the injector pump are allowed to go dry.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
We usually get 550 or 600 before we fill up. Averaging 46mpg in our Jetta.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Also depends on what kind of driving you do. But I'd keep driving until you hit the fuel light comes on. You'll get more miles in than you may think. You also have an automatic. The auto can suck as much as 10mpg off.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The auto only has 4 gears correct, while the manual has 5 and that final gear ratio really helps at highway speeds?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Its more to do with when the auto shifts I believe. Keep in mind its more than just the number of gears. An auto also has a torque converter and *should* have lower RPMs at highway speeds. And the later autos have 6 speeds, but they still get worse mileage. Its about shifting at the best points. A manual allows you to control that better than a computer, at least on these older transmissions. Autos now are much closer, if not better for MPGs than manuals.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
My best tank was about 740 miles but I usually fill up around 600. I always vent the tank to get an extra 2-3 gallons (push the little button in the neck of the tank).

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have never tried venting the tank. I have never put more than 13 gal in. i think it holds 14.5 I can count on 42mpg consistantly , so 14 gal would be 560 miles When my light comes on I have gotten around 330 miles I dont want to push it farther and run out like mentioned above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well the theory of mileage varies according to several factors like the brake shifting, the experience of driver about the speed and so many. BTW, I get 550 miles on an average.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
As far as I'm aware, yes, TDI only.

And as for the lights, you need to get up with someone who has a VAG-COM to scan your car. That's the only thing that will read airbag codes and reset them. Autozone, etc. can pick up the CEL codes, but not always all of them.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If you google "ventectomy TDI" I bet you'll find all the info you need. Its a very common thing to do on them. But I've never heard of it for a gasser.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Where is the aforementioned button?
It's on the inside of your filler neck. On the left side as you are facing the fender. I've used it on the last 2 tankfulls and end up getting around 2 gallons more. I use the filler nozzel to push down on it a few times until I do not hear any more air escaping. Then I pump in a little more & repeat. I do keep an eye on the level to make sure I don't get too full.

My tank mileage, at 90% in-town driving, varies between 455 to 480ish. When I ran really low, chime came on and I was about 10 miles from any gas station, the miles on that tank was about540.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't know if this is true or just my experience but winter diesel seems to be even worse for foaming up and needing to have gas released to get the tank full. Sometimes in the winter I'll fill up to the point where the pump turns off and it will have only put in 45 liters of fuel into the 55 liter tank. That's 2.6 gallons below full.

As mentioned with venting you can get more than 14.5 gallons (55 liters) in there. I've read folks getting 15.5 and even 16 gallons in the tank. But that doesn't change the fuel economy, just the single tank distance.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
The most I've ever put in is around 16.5 gallons. You can't do this on a gasser because gas is more flammable than diesel. I like it because I don't have to fill up as often.

To the OP - if your airbag light stays on, the airbags may not deploy in a accident. Definitely need to get it scanned with a vag com ASAP

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I need to get it checked.

I drove 464.6 miles on this tank and the pump clicked off at 13.5 gallons which equates to 34.4mpg.

Pressed the little vent button and got two more gallons in there. So that means there is about 16.5 gallons in the tank right now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts