NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Proud Owner :)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VW New Beetle 2.0 GL

A full tank of gas gets me about .... let's say 200 miles?
:mad:

Is that normal!!

My dads 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix gets 450miles.
Lame.:p

·
Registered
873 Posts
My '98 2.0 would do 240 miles to the red with the light on, about 20 mpg city driving. My '05 2.0 will do about 300 miles without the light on, about 28 mpg highway driving.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Obviously, MPG depends a lot on how much you are carrying in your car. For years I have gotten less MPG than someone else with a lighter load. I carry tons of auto detailing products and equipment cutting into good mileage numbers a bunch.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
mpg

2003, 1.8T I get about 27-29/gallon Hwy on average. The original window sticker says 31mpg highway, hhmm??

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
2003, 1.8T I get about 27-29/gallon Hwy on average. The original window sticker says 31mpg highway, hhmm??
I think that is pretty normal gas mileage. I have not taken my Beetle on a long Highway trip but I am averaging about 25mpg which is about 60% city and 40% highway driving. I think 29 or even 30mpg is possible on extended trips but I doubt that it will get any more than that even when it was new.

·
Proud Owner :)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i just filled my tank AGAIN ... i went almost 250.. is that normal?

I had tons of work done to my car, it pretty much has new everything .. so i can't seem to find the problem ..

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
repairs

how do you get so much lol
i get 1/4 of that if im lucky!!

This car is worse than my grandparents 2005 Caddi
You said a lot was repaired on this car? Did you or do you know whoever did your repairs reset the main CPU after those repairs? like this; disconnect both cables from battery, touch both cables together and hold for a few seconds and then reconnect both cables back to battery. If it runs a little shaky at first it should smooth out after a few days or so. Hope that helps out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
how do you get so much lol
i get 1/4 of that if im lucky!!

This car is worse than my grandparents 2005 Caddi
This was mostly highway and I dont drive fast either, I save good amount of fuel by driving 60mph and not faster on highway! I bought the car couple months ago, just did a full tune up, maf sensor, ECT sensor, wires, spark plug, fuel filter, oil change with High mileage oil filter and oil. I was doing about 375 on a full tank before doing all that!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I'm averaging 29mph with the 1.8 on 93 octane. Best I saw was 34 on a long trip at a steady 60-70.

02SilverSport💥Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mpg 2001 2.0 gls

I just checked with the last tank of gas using the iPhone app MPGcal free and I got 30.83 MPG! Coming from 1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 that is crazy! I have the gas saving tires on their as well..... Bridgestone Ecopia all city driving as well.....ill keep checking it and make sure it was not a fluke! manual trans as well.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mpg

I have 2000 2.0 manual and I average 30mpg. When I start putting my foot in it, the average obviously drops. If everything is mechanically sound, driving style is the only reason I could see a disparity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a 1999 New Beetle with a 2.0L with an automatic transmission. I am only getting about 18 mpg, is this too low? Most of my driving is short trips of 5 to 10 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's what I thought too. I have changed the fuel filter, air intake filter, and spark plugs. I also bought a new set of spark plug wires, but have not installed them yet. The car runs fine, good compression on all four cylinders, no falt codes, just lousy gas mileage. Any suggestions on what else to look at?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts