NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys.....I feel like such a crimminal! I got my first EVER speeding ticket Saturday afternoon. Just threw the damm thing in the mail. UGH!!!!!! $124.00

75 in a 60 MPH zone. Freeway....high speed lane.....TURBO
(need I say more!!!!):mad:

Would anyone else like to share their being stopped, ticket or JAIL stories!!!!
(might make me feel better)

--Connie :cool:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
83 in a 65...the State trooper dropped it down to 73 in a 65: 130 bucks...this past summer
55 in a 35...that was about 10 years ago
55 in a 25...that was about 9 (had to go to traffic schoo...fun!)

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Got flashed by the Germans, 33 kph in a 30 kph, so 1.8 MPH over, had to pay $25. And a ticket for my inspection sticker being overdue when the inspection was still good for a few months.

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Just one speeding ticket, and another was for careless driving. A PBA card is a beautiful thing to have!

Don't EVER just pay a ticket! Always go to court (if at all possible), you can usually get away with reduced points or no points at all. All you have to do is pay court fees. Very much worth it!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
JrsyGrl said:
Just one speeding ticket, and another was for careless driving. A PBA card is a beautiful thing to have!

Don't EVER just pay a ticket! Always go to court (if at all possible), you can usually get away with reduced points or no points at all. All you have to do is pay court fees. Very much worth it!
Agreed. BIGtime!

I've only gotten one speeding ticket. 64 in a 30. Got the speed reduced and only 2 points.
Almost got a DWI, but they never breathalized me and since i was only 4 blocks from home let me go home with a bunch of non-moving violations. Like 3 tickets total. Punk coppers. Eh, at least no repurcussions, just a wakeup call. I have to say in my defense, i was more tired than drunk and i can't balance on one foot when i havent been drinking. Plus i had to pee real bad. I got stopped in front of the church. I just prayed like mad that day. :lol:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait wait.........

FineExampl said:
Agreed. BIGtime!

I've only gotten one speeding ticket. 64 in a 30. Got the speed reduced and only 2 points.
Almost got a DWI, but they never breathalized me and since i was only 4 blocks from home let me go home with a bunch of non-moving violations. Like 3 tickets total. Punk coppers. Eh, at least no repurcussions, just a wakeup call. I have to say in my defense, i was more tired than drunk and i can't balance on one foot when i havent been drinking. Plus i had to pee real bad. I got stopped in front of the church. I just prayed like mad that day. :lol:
How can it be reduced........i am guilty..as SIN!!!!! I already mailed it.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Seemkay said:
You confirm your court date, go to court, meet with the prosecuter, and work a plea agreement. If you have a clean record, they will work with you. By mailing payment you are flat out saying "guilty, here's the fine now raise my insurance". You speak to the prosecuter and they will usually reduce the violation and you can get a better punishment. Some people even get off scott free depending how bad it was.

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Seemkay said:

Well, by going to court, you're probably going to plead guilty. With my careless driving ticket, I went to court and talked to the prosecutor. I didn't even have to come up with a story, he just said, "If you plead guilty, we'll knock it down to no points."

The municipal court doesn't benefit at all from you getting points on your license. However, they DO benefit from you paying the fine plus court fees.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JrsyGrl said:
Well, by going to court, you're probably going to plead guilty. With my careless driving ticket, I went to court and talked to the prosecutor. I didn't even have to come up with a story, he just said, "If you plead guilty, we'll knock it down to no points."

The municipal court doesn't benefit at all from you getting points on your license. However, they DO benefit from you paying the fine plus court fees.
That is totally TRUE!! But were talking CLEVELAND, OHIO!!!! Blah!!!!!!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Even if you plead guilty, you can usualy get something worked out. My dad got a speeding ticket going 42 in a 25...it was right before the Patomac River bridge going into VA and the speed limit goes from like 40->25 really quick. They were just picking people off. He wasn't going any faster than anyone else but he was just unlucky. He would have had to pay like $175 and get 2 points on his license or something but he argued it because of the signs, how they just picked people off, and the fact that we were in a brand new rental car so he said he couldn't really tell he was going that fast. Ended up not getting any points and got the fine dropped to about $75 I think...maybe less. It all depends on the circumstances but its worth trying to get it reduced somehow.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I just went to defensive driving class...what a crock that was!
I should feel lucky he could have given me 3 tickets but only gave me one...88 in a 65. I'm on "probation ". If I don't get a ticket during it nothing will go on my record. Too bad I don't know how long probation is! I've gotten pulled over about 6-8 times and only 2 tickets. So far so good! How can you have a turbo and not punch it? :cool: Sorry about rambling.:p

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
One ticket and one warning. The warning was midnight, just getting off work, speeding about 15 over. The cop goes "Are you in a hurry or something?" and I tell him "Actually..yes. I just got off work, I'm sick, I'm tired, I'm just trying to get home." And he let me off with a warning and lecture.

Ticket was gotten on the interstate going 78 in a 65, I think $75 and 2 points. I was actually running late to my own college graduation. The cop literally WALKS out in front of my car, and I don't know what he's doing so I drive around him. Apparently he was trying to tell me to pull over :rolleyes: Long story short, I go to court, but not a whole lot happened. My advice: don't plead not guilty!!! That's the last time I listen to my dad :p

·
Foreign Exchange Orger
7,461 Posts
In 10 years of having my driverslicense I have had "only" 2 speeding tickets. One was at a flashpole, another by a mobile location. Both I was driving a bit over the speedlimit, so I had to pay the minimum fine of then FL40,- (about EUR18,- now).
Ooh, and also a parkingticket.
But.... since I have my NB no ticket at all!!!

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I haven't had a ticket since 1984, but I've received three warnings. The last one was the day after Christmas last month, the guy shot me with his radar in a 40 mph zone. My Speedy was all clean and shiny and I think he couldn't resist pulling me over. Sorry cop didn't even have the nerve to write my actual speed on the form, just put "over" in the box for mph. I'm not actually sure exactly how fast I was driving; I think my speedo runs a little over the real speed I'm driving.

My best friend and her husband were ticketed on their wedding night on the way to the hotel. Now, that is the sorriest excuse for a highway patrolman I've ever seen!

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
It may be too late, since you have already mailed your payment, but if it is available, go to traffic school....many jurisdictions allow for you to take it online...cost about $20, but the ticket won't show up on your driving record. In states, like Calif, you can only go to traffic school if you haven't had a ticket within the past 18 months. I've had 7 tickets (all speeding) in my 33 years of driving, mostly "energy related", when the 55 mph speed limit was strictly enforced.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I want to pose a question to you guys since we're on the topic of tickets...A friend of mine got a parking ticket about a month ago and he's been trying to pay it online but it keeps saying that his ticket number isn't on file. So today, it hit the 31 day mark since he got the ticket so the fine should double. He called them up and asked them about it...first they said the fine won't double but then they couldn't find the ticket in the system either. Should he pay the ticket or not since its not in the system...cuz they don't have any proof he got the ticket.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
3 tickets... all speeding and all in my bug.

90 in a 65 (on christmas day...)
50 in a 35
110 in a 70 (coming back from san diego @ 2am :D )

i never learn my lesson.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
mentalVdub said:
3 tickets... all speeding and all in my bug.

90 in a 65 (on christmas day...)
50 in a 35
110 in a 70 (coming back from san diego @ 2am :D )

i never learn my lesson.
OUCH!!! 110 is a 2 point violation and usually earns a reckless driving ticket, but probably not due to the time and lack of traffic.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
larryziegler said:
OUCH!!! 110 is a 2 point violation and usually earns a reckless driving ticket, but probably not due to the time and lack of traffic.
more like anything over 30mph i can get thrown in jail.
i weasel my way out of a lot of things. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts