NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out my fluid entirely and can't find what volume is in the car?? How many oz's/litres do I need to do a complete flush?? I have a 2002 1.8T, thanks for any info or advice!!!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
fohveh said:
I want to change out my fluid entirely and can't find what volume is in the car?? How many oz's/litres do I need to do a complete flush?? I have a 2002 1.8T, thanks for any info or advice!!!
Call your VW dealers service department and the service advisors can get a tech to answer your question. I know when ever they have bled my system, it seemed that a whole lot of fluid was used. Much more fluid than the system holds would be used to flush the system anyway. Maybe 2 large size bottles of DOT 4 and a vacuum bleeder??? I know VW recommends every 24 months, I follow that service recomendation fully. DOT 4 fluid is extremely hydroscopic ( absorbs water very easy and causes rust and corrosion to form esp. bad for ABS cars) I think m,y dealer charges about $75.00 for this service...Too much really, but if you don't have the equipment or the place to do this task, than your only other choice is the dealer. JK

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
The fluid I use (ATE Racing Blue; ATE Endurance Gold) come in a 1L container.

That's PLENTY to get the job done. I alternate colors too; so that I'm very aware when the old fluid is finally flushed out.

It really only takes a 10mm wrench and a buddy to bleed the system.

Every once in a while I'll use my vag-com to flush the ABS cylinders, but even VW dealerships don't do that normally. It is rather unnecessary; but I get my brakes pretty hot sometimes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts