NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting question posed to me this morning. I was asked if I ever towed anything with our Beetle, and what the towing capacity was for a New Beetle.

Even though I would never tow anything with our Beetle, I was wondering what the towing capacity was for a 2.0 and a 2.5 if anyone knows.

Thanks for your help.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
At last spring's Show&Go here in Jersey i saw a picture of a NB towing a camper behind it. Rather large as well. Alternately, when the NB first came out i saw an article about just that and the person from the article towed a vintage Beetle on a tow hitch.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I don't know what it will tow. I do know that I can tow a 63 Beetle with a 73 Super Beetle.. and if I can do that, then logic says a new beetle could tow an old beetle (of roughtly 1800 pounds), so 2000-3000 shouldn't be out of the questions for a 2.0/2.5/1.9TDI [and I've met a few TDI bug owners who tow boats with theirs -- light alumninum boats]

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
I would have to say no more than 2000# since the hitches for the Beetle are Class 1 which go up to 2000#. How ever most everything I can find says towing is not recomended. I would check with the dealer and see what they suggest.

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
Well, we towed a 1300lb. pop-up camper from Chicago to Newport Beach, CA and back with a stop in Roswell, NM. We've also towed our '78 Superbeetle convertible for short trips in our area and our loaded Yuppie Wagon cargo trailer, which was probably about 1000lbs loaded. We have a Class 1 Draw-Tite Sportframe hitch. I posted a long time ago about a VW website from either Australia or New Zealand that said 1500 lbs max without trailer brakes or 1800 lbs max with trailer brakes.

We have a '98 2.0 with 5 spd transmission.

Hope that helps!!!:D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Two things to consider:

1) tongue weight of the trailer, you can't exceed the GVW (gross vehicle weight). There will be a label on your car with this information. This includes vehicle, passengers, luggage, hitch, and tongue weight.

2) trailer weight cannot exceed the rating of the hitch, and typical NB hitches are limited to Class I or II.
  • Class 1 (Class I) trailer hitch - Trailer hitch with capacity of up to 2,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight.
  • Class 2 (Class II) trailer hitch - Trailer hitch with weight-carrying rating of up to 3,500 lbs gross trailer weight and 300/350 lbs tongue weight.
For more information on towing:

For your '03, refer to your Owners Manual, Booklet 3.2, pgs 18 & 19, and Booklet 3.3, pg. 5

For your '08, refer to your Owner's Manual, pg 167 - "no towing possible"
Of course...
But do keep in mind, simply having a hitch installed on the car may void any drive train warranty you may have. And most probably will.

MORAV

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have towed my Teardrop from Louisiana to the mountains of Arkansas and Alabama for over three years with no problems. My Beetle is a 2005 turbo, gas, standatd transmission convertible
and my Teardrop weighs 500 lbs. You cannot feel the Teardrop on the back and wherever the Beetle goes, the trailer just follows right along with no problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I moved out to Portland, Oregon from Cincinnati, Ohio back in April. I towed a 4x8 trailer behind it loaded with all of my stuff(mainly tools) I'd imagine the combined weight was close to 1500lbs. My 99' is a 2.0 5 speed. I didnt have many issues except for mountains(just had to drop some gears and be diligent about my lanes.) They are very capable cars, whatever a Jetta/golf can do, a NB can too!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts