NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Car Crazy Girl
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how much money have you put in your bug, for problems not mods?
And how long hav you owned it?

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i've had mine 11 months (used) and have spent about $1800 for maintenance, mods, accessories, etc. i actually have a spreadsheet on it somewhere. :eek:

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
since your post is concerning problems and not mods or normal wear and tear...

i'd have to say about $450 in the past six years of ownership.

alot of the problems that occured were covered under warranty. so my out of pocket expense isn't that great.

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
I guess I should change mine then, let's see

Tires: $500

Replacement CD Changer: $400

A/C compressor: $780

Everything else has been either minor or covered under warranty. Plus that doesn't include PA state inspections, and my ritual 3k mile oil changes.

·
Car Crazy Girl
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine 1 month old 2001...a beer to find i had a vacume hose that poppped off....everyone is saying the cost to own one is expensive but my RX 8 was crazy.....and my oz rally just crap..

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I've had mine two years and put 70,000+ on mine. I had a $6 sensor fail, I broke the oil pan guard off which was $140 and I have put tires $380 and brakes $450 oil x7 changes $320 (had one at the dealer, rest myself)... and I THINK that's it.. so for my 02 with 2x the "normal" driven mileage, a grand total of $1200? or so. Give or take, I'm sure my math is off.. but ballpark. Not bad given the miles, if you drive less it obviously won't be as costly....

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
1st throttle body- covered by warranty

2nd throttle body- paid about $450 because we decided not to go through our dealership again.

new battery- $180new vacuum hoses- $35, labor was free

oil changes- my mechanic does them free of charge.:)

new tires- about $500

2 replacement headlight bulbs- $12 or so (can't really remember):eek:

40,000 mile check-up + oil change, spark plugs, and spark plug wires- $180

new oil pan- about $220, would've been more but I didn't have to pay for labor.:)

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
I've had Hobbes for going on 4 years (wow) and have only had two major repairs. Unfortunatley about a month after we got him his water pump went Kablooee, and it was $650 to do it and the timing belt. Good news is, it was coming up on Timing Belt Time anyway, so some of that would have been necessary anyway.

About this time last year the Alternator went out. That cost around $400 ($320 for the replacement and another $80 for the VW dealer to reset the throttle body.) I would have done it myself, but I didn't have the time, need him for work. Wish I had gone ahead and gotten a Vag-Com, because I could have reset the throttle myself.

Except for tires, that is it. I have done alot of little things (oh, and my brakes, thanks Tom) and saved quite a bit of cash, thanks to the ORG!!! :goodjob:

On my wife's car we have not had any expenses (yet) because she was under the VW CPO warranty. Unfortunately it just ran out.

Oh, wait, we did have one small expense, she had a minor accident and her passenger side mirror got knocked off. Cost about $60 to fix, did it myself. :D

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I have owned my New Beetle for 56 months (1703 days or 40872 Hours or 2,452,320 seconds)
and I am sitting here racking my brain to think of things that I have had to shell out money for that were actual problems or breakages.

I had a few issues that VW took care of under warranty (those don't count)
I have made a number of modifications (Those don't count either)
and I have spent a lot of money to was her, wax her, change her fluids etc (those don't count either).

So I guess my grand total comes to $0.00. (knock on wood) I hope it stays that way :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it was not for the fact that I have VW CPO warranty, I would be out of an estimated $5,000-$6,000, and I have owned the car since April 2004. In an effort not to be long winded, these repairs included new pistons & rings, throttle body, ABS pump & computer, and various other items.

As for maintenance: oil changes ($30.00 each), timing belt incl. water pump and tensioner (approx $750.00), battery ($120), rear brakes-pads and discs ($330), 4 new tires ($560), 2 wipers ($30), air filter ($15), pollen filter ($25).....and that's about it!

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
I wish I could learn how to do a lot of these things myself, I'd really save on the labor costs! I can do little things, but major things under the hood...no way. I don't have the equipment, the space, or the knowledge :( I need to find a good VW mechanic around here that isn't a dealer, those places are such a ripoff

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Had mine only since October, have only had normal operating expenses. I'm lucky that the previous owner put on new tires, water pump, timing belt, plugs and a few other small items last year. :)

·
Car Crazy Girl
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GINA said:
I wish I could learn how to do a lot of these things myself, I'd really save on the labor costs! I can do little things, but major things under the hood...no way. I don't have the equipment, the space, or the knowledge :( I need to find a good VW mechanic around here that isn't a dealer, those places are such a ripoff
The day after i bought mine, the check engine light came on and I thought here goes another 500.00, the first place i took her...said bring her back tomorrow...they did not have the equipment to read the code, the vw place without looking at it said come back in a week we are to busy...it will cost about 500 1000 dollars at most, so calling through the yellow pages a guy refered me to autobaun, the place looked scary ,but packed with german auto, a kid of 22 camr out pluged the code reader in, popped open my hoad said a hose popped off, HE use to work at the VW place, and was on my way in 10 minutes..... They would not Take a penny for what they had done....
now my bug will only go there for everything!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
CyberGypsy said:
The day after i bought mine, the check engine light came on and I thought here goes another 500.00, the first place i took her...said bring her back tomorrow...they did not have the equipment to read the code, the vw place without looking at it said come back in a week we are to busy...it will cost about 500 1000 dollars at most, so calling through the yellow pages a guy refered me to autobaun, the place looked scary ,but packed with german auto, a kid of 22 camr out pluged the code reader in, popped open my hoad said a hose popped off, HE use to work at the VW place, and was on my way in 10 minutes..... They would not Take a penny for what they had done....
now my bug will only go there for everything!!!!!
Congrats on your discovery :)
It's unfortunate that there are so many shops with the attitude of "gimme all your money," Then make shabby repairs or just plain trash your car.:mad:

·
Car Crazy Girl
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea...I feel good moved here a year ago, was going to buy a mini, but the closet place to service was 100 miles from here, they built the VW,BMWand porshe place the year i moved here.....glad i found them too

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Owned Jenna 11 months.

Water pump went kablooey at 24k, I paid $48 for the new timing belt. I figured if it was off, no sense in not replacing it...a stretched timing belt is not something I want on my car. That doesn't count, or does it?

Have had 4 sets of wheels/tires on her (all 16"), but again, I traded, so 0 there.

I guess when all is said and done, just the $48 for the new timing belt.

Mods don't count. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
~ $3700.

1.) ~$1000 Complete brake rebuild when I bought it, they were rusted almost completley through. Car sat for 5 years, I saved it.

2.) ~$600 Fixing the airbag sytem that was broken when I bought.

3.) ~$2100 Reparing the body damage caused by a parking lot fender bender. Luckily, they paird for it :D .

And in mods, probably ~$350.

32 Posts
wow I read all these posts and see the major customizers didnt answer yet..

I think since I have had her (I have only owned her for 3 mos) I put about 3k in it and im still going strong shes getting altezzas and clear lights all around this weekend spoiler was last weekend, but Im getting ready for show this year, thank goodness Hubby has a good job...lol

1 - 20 of 106 Posts