NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dilemna is how much money to spend on suspension.

I am the second owner of a 1998 with 169k miles. I bought it with 42k miles in 2001 and the car has been basically trouble free for me. It's been a great car. Most mileage I put on were highway miles.

So here I sit with the original suspension in the car and notice considerable body roll heading into corners. No noises coming from down under though. So I'm thinking, with this many miles I should replace my shocks and struts. Off I go and order up Bilsteins TC for replacements along with all the bits and pieces to go along with them such as mounts, bearings, sleeves, stops, nuts, and bolts. Fantastic! :cool:

But now as I continue to research, I discover maybe I should be replacing control arm bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends as well. Granted these things only add another $115 but they do add.

Question I have for you, how much does one spend on a beetle with 169k miles? Should I bite the bullet and replace the other items while I'm at it or replace those at a later date? Should I not do anything and just sell it? What should I expect for other capital outlays in the near future if I keep it? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
My friend just put $3200 into a 99 gasser that the motor blew on at 298K. He still needs to replace suspension parts. :p He currently owns 7 VW's. Only 3 are water cooled. ;) I would totally put the money into it! My 98 has 155K and if and when stuff like that starts going on mine, I'll be glad to replace it. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ JP - I'm currently sitting about $360 and if I included everything I would be sitting at the $500 mark right next to you.

@ Silent - do I understand you correctly that you replaced your strut coil springs as well? How about sway bar linkage/bushings. One thing I am trying to improve is a noticeable increase in body roll heading into corners. And I'm not talking enthusiastic driving. This is essentially a commuter for me.

@ Opelmania - You're still running on the original suspension?

Thanks guys, having slept on it my gut tells me to replace anything that will require a second tear down or a second wheel alignment. I'm not one that likes to consume my free time working on vehicles. So my previous statement suggests I should include the control arm bushings, tie rod ends, and ball joints.

What about sway bar bushings and/or linkage? :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts