NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm interested in a 2005 GLS model. Most of these models now go for $7,900 at most small dealerships with miles ranging from 80-110K If I find out that the valve on the transmission hasn't been replaced and the warranty is up. Should I negotiate with the dealer even though the car doesn't have transmission issues when I'm test driving it? Or is 7900 alright? I called the dealership and they said they can't release information from the VIN by law.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Zero. Buy a manual trans. The dealer is lying to you (surprise), they can certainly tell you the service history, they just don't want to. Think about it, Carfax isn't illegal...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Extended warranty is up on the transmission at this point. The valve bodies all self destruct by about 75k miles, highway cars do last longer. Expect to pay at least $1100 for a valve body job if you can find some to just the valve body.

I was offered only $5k for my 2003 convertible GLX with 70k miles on it 4 years ago, needless to say I kept it. Had to do the trans work, oil pickup, timing belt, water pump & thermostat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts