NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Black Velvet
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello today I wanna share a story about how my love for VW's started. Well it started when I was four years old when my mom gave me my first toy beetle. It was actually a Go Bot beetle and I love that toy and then hot wheels, and my dad got me a black beetle when I was 6. I also collected a couple of toy golf GTI's also a VW bus, so it's safe to say that my love started early also watching Herbie movies and the original Transformer cartoon series as you obviously know my favorite Autobot is Bumblebee:). I also used to draw a lot VW's in my drawings and I would draw custom interiors that one else has. I have driven other cars like Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, and Nissan (obviously I went through my JDM phase) but after I drove a 2004 New Beetle Turbo S brand new my inner love for VW came back with a vengeance. I also test drove an R32, Jetta GLI, and I even test drove a GTI (which is one of the cars that I am looking at getting). I bought my first VW brand-new on March,3 2007 just two days before my birthday. Now my beetle has 34,000 low miles and it's basically my little toy. It's hard to believe that a Go Bot toy that my mom got me when I was little started this craze, but I'm glad I did because without that toy I wouldn't be the VW enthusiast that I am right now. Here's the black beetle that my dad got me when I was little and here is the life size Beetle that I drive right now and the kicker they're both black. Who knew!

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
That’s an awesome story!! My personal
Love of VW has being lying dormant kind of like yours until my 02 I bought. It really opened up a rabbit hole and sucked me in deep!

I remember falling in love with the 80’s (mkII I think) convertible rabbit/cabriolet. I wanted that to be my first car, alas that dream eluded me. Then while working at a car wash in college, one came in and I needed to drive it. My passion was reignited yet still out of my reach.

The rest remains to be told. I’ve bought my first vw, learned a ton and really enjoyed her. Now it’s time to move on. She is up for sale as we speak and my next vw chapter we be told soon!

·
Black Velvet
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s an awesome story!! My personal
Love of VW has being lying dormant kind of like yours until my 02 I bought. It really opened up a rabbit hole and sucked me in deep!

I remember falling in love with the 80’s (mkII I think) convertible rabbit/cabriolet. I wanted that to be my first car, alas that dream eluded me. Then while working at a car wash in college, one came in and I needed to drive it. My passion was reignited yet still out of my reach.

The rest remains to be told. I’ve bought my first vw, learned a ton and really enjoyed her. Now it’s time to move on. She is up for sale as we speak and my next vw chapter we be told soon!
That's awesome I have drove different cars and I my love for VW's was always there. I use to love driving my ex-girlfriend's Jetta in fact originally I was set on getting one myself, but fell in love with the beetle and it's been history from there.I'm looking forward to my next VW chapter as well as am one step closer to a VW GTI or an Audi. We're looking forward to hear your next VW venture.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My love for VWs happened in three stages.

Growing up, our family was a one-car family. The car would stay at home in case Mom needed it. My dad would use his Cushman Eagle scooter to commute to work. My dad finally went the second car route for commuting and a '66 Beetle was his third commuter. It was that car I first drove on Sundays starting at the age of 12. (For the youngsters, there were blue laws where we lived back in the day and virtually all stores were closed on Sundays. Driving on the parking lots of shopping centers were no big deal and as I got better, driving on very uncluttered roads were not much more of a deal, if still illegal.)

We no longer had the Bug when it was actually time for my driving test. Enter the Ford Maverick. :rolleyes: However, when I had scraped a bunch of nickels together working part time in high school, I wanted to get a new Thing. My parents vetoed that and any convertibles -- strange as we had a convertible in one fashion or another for most of my life until my dad got the '66. I ended up with a '69 Mustang as my first car.

Therefore, my second love encounter with VW came with my first encounter with love. She owned a '74 "Love Bug" Super Beetle. Well, she owned it until her mother's disapproval of me left her with no car. My first second car became a '65 Falcon for her to use -- still the best $75 I ever spent. She eventually moved to a different state to pursue her career and I became entrenched in my career. Great person. Unfortunate situation.

Despite considering different VWs along the way, it wasn't until May '86 I chose a new Jetta GLI over other offerings in my desire to have a new car for the first time in ten years. I continued to own my '79 Fiat Brava for several months but it was never driven. My then-future wife owned a Mazda RX-7, so my second car, our third car, was silly.

With marriage and plans for a family, the two-seater also seemed silly despite how great of a car it was. The Jetta was nearing its end with the warranty and I was introduced to a shop that specialized in VW service and repairs. Buying the RX-7's replacement was a narrow focus; it had to be a VW because of this shop. That's when we bought the '85 Vanagon.

We have been all VW since. Jetta was ours for over 16 years and 275k miles. Vanagon, bought used, gave us six years of trouble-free service until we got EuroVan to replace it. The Rabbit-based Pickup was our truly first third car (not really counting "Fifi," the Fiat) as my commute grew to an hour each way so 45-50 MPG seemed great. And it was quite the utilitarian.

We stayed with that shop until recently -- 30 years. Unfortunately, the original owner sold his shop and retired, and was replaced by a semi-shady guy with no attention to detail and no accountability for the work his shop produces. I am satisfied so far with the replacement shop I have found, but they work on other makes and models as well. I'm getting too old for Thing, so its replacement has only a 70-30 chance of being a VW.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My love for VWs happened in three stages.

Growing up, our family was a one-car family. The car would stay at home in case Mom needed it. My dad would use his Cushman Eagle scooter to commute to work. My dad finally went the second car route for commuting and a '66 Beetle was his third commuter. It was that car I first drove on Sundays starting at the age of 12. (For the youngsters, there were blue laws where we lived back in the day and virtually all stores were closed on Sundays. Driving on the parking lots of shopping centers were no big deal and as I got better, driving on very uncluttered roads were not much more of a deal, if still illegal.)

We no longer had the Bug when it was actually time for my driving test. Enter the Ford Maverick. :rolleyes: However, when I had scraped a bunch of nickels together working part time in high school, I wanted to get a new Thing. My parents vetoed that and any convertibles -- strange as we had a convertible in one fashion or another for most of my life until my dad got the '66. I ended up with a '69 Mustang as my first car.

Therefore, my second love encounter with VW came with my first encounter with love. She owned a '74 "Love Bug" Super Beetle. Well, she owned it until her mother's disapproval of me left her with no car. My first second car became a '65 Falcon for her to use -- still the best $75 I ever spent. She eventually moved to a different state to pursue her career and I became entrenched in my career. Great person. Unfortunate situation.

Despite considering different VWs along the way, it wasn't until May '86 I chose a new Jetta GLI over other offerings in my desire to have a new car for the first time in ten years. I continued to own my '79 Fiat Brava for several months but it was never driven. My then-future wife owned a Mazda RX-7, so my second car, our third car, was silly.

With marriage and plans for a family, the two-seater also seemed silly despite how great of a car it was. The Jetta was nearing its end with the warranty and I was introduced to a shop that specialized in VW service and repairs. Buying the RX-7's replacement was a narrow focus; it had to be a VW because of this shop. That's when we bought the '85 Vanagon.

We have been all VW since. Jetta was ours for over 16 years and 275k miles. Vanagon, bought used, gave us six years of trouble-free service until we got EuroVan to replace it. The Rabbit-based Pickup was our truly first third car (not really counting "Fifi," the Fiat) as my commute grew to an hour each way so 45-50 MPG seemed great. And it was quite the utilitarian.

We stayed with that shop until recently -- 30 years. Unfortunately, the original owner sold his shop and retired, and was replaced by a semi-shady guy with no attention to detail and no accountability for the work his shop produces. I am satisfied so far with the replacement shop I have found, but they work on other makes and models as well. I'm getting too old for Thing, so its replacement has only a 70-30 chance of being a VW.
What an awesome story! I like being amid people who cars bookmark their life as much as music, books, or places bookmark others!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts