VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Beetle "Classic" I originally bought a bluetooth OBD2 tool to reset an airbag light and it has come in very handy. I am showing a "small leak" error and I have replaced the gas cap. I understand the second most likely culprit is the purge solenoid. When I use the Live Monitor feature I monitor the Commanded Evaporative Purge (%) and see the Solenoid is opening and closing several times per minute. Sometimes it cyles all the way to Zero and up to 100, other times it doesn't quite get "there". Regardless, the graph looks like an EKG for a short five minute drive.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
14,367 Posts
First, you are in the 1.8T area for the earlier new beetles (1998-2010); which engine do you have, on your 2015 Classic Beetle?

This is a good question, you are one of the few people; who is attempting more in depth type of troubleshooting on the later Beetle's. What scan tool are you using and what trouble codes, are you getting? Because of this, we don't have info; of others with "known good data"; of the duty cycle using vcds on this particular part. Maybe another member with , might fire up vcds and check theirs; then, you two could "compare notes", to see if the readings seem normal or in spec. If you see yourself; continuing to repair and troubleshoot your beetle, you might spend the $36 and down load the official factory service manual from VW's eRWin site and they may have this type of info or testing procedures documented there.

Meanwhile, check out this video; for how these parts fail, basic troubleshooting, and testing procedures:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts