NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
Shay said:
ITs a CC right :confused:...
Just to clear up any confusion, The Colour Concepts came in Snap Orange(early 02), Double Yellow(02), Cyber Green(early 03), Uni Red(03), and Blue Lagoon(03).

Vortex Blue, Vapor, Reflex Yellow, Isotope, Luna, Riviera Blue, Mojave Beige, and Satellite Blue were special limited edition colours, but non were Colour Concepts.

Dang it...looking at the British site has me spelling color colour. :D
FallinApartBoy said:
ok whats AWV...
Early 1.8Ts were identified with the engine code APH. Late 2001, VW switched to variable valve timing and christened that motor AWV. Though mainly for better emissions, the VVT plus a few other tweaks mean much more HP when you chip. 185(APH) 210(AWV)

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
CaptainXeroid said:
Just to clear up any confusion, The Colour Concepts came in Snap Orange(early 02), Double Yellow(02), Cyber Green(early 03), Uni Red(03), and Blue Lagoon(03).

Vortex Blue, Vapor, Reflex Yellow, Isotope, Luna, Riviera Blue, Mojave Beige, and Satellite Blue were special limited edition colours, but non were Colour Concepts.

Dang it...looking at the British site has me spelling color colour. :DEarly 1.8Ts were identified with the engine code APH. Late 2001, VW switched to variable valve timing and christened that motor AWV. Though mainly for better emissions, the VVT plus a few other tweaks mean much more HP when you chip. 185(APH) 210(AWV)
VVT doesn't affect chipped power. It only recirculates exhaust gasses back in when the engine is cold. Other factors (mainly KO3s turbo) lends to increased chipped HP.

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
lojasmo said:
VVT doesn't affect chipped power...
Spoken like someone who's never driven a chipped 1.8T. :D You really ought to try it sometime.

Chipping increases the boost the system will build AND adjusts the fuel delivery to a more aggressive setting. Because a VVT engine is more efficient, the more aggressive timing yields more power.

Why else do you think both APH & AWV are rated at 150HP stock but there's such a difference 185 v 210 when you chip?:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
CaptainXeroid said:
Why else do you think both APH & AWV are rated at 150HP stock but there's such a difference 185 v 210 when you chip?:cool:
Hmmmm lets see...

AWV has less restrictive head and intake manifold, larger injectors, larger compressor wheel in the turbo (K03S vs K03) and VVT. The VVT does nothing for hp and is geared only to help with emissions. It does add a cool bit of alphabet soup though :D

Not to totally discredit the APH. It does have stronger internals, stiffer bottom end and coil packs that dont fry at they slightest touch. :)

·
spazchicken.com
7 Posts
Hello fellow Vortex Blue owners. We just picked ours up this past Saturday (10/21). We used to have Isotope, but it got wrecked...:(

... Anyhow, I was just searching around trying to find out the production numbers and found this thread. Great info guys, Thanks.

Our Vortex also has an all black leather interior. Now, I'm off to research this "chipping" you guys keep talking about.

-rick

P.S. My wife named our Vortex Zaphod (yes, Zaphod Beetlebrox)

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure of the actuall production numbers, but here's what I know(I worked for a dealer when they were new).

Vortex Blue "Blue on 10 cups of coffee" is a color concept car. After Isotope Green the CC's came with the color matched wheels and interiors. Vortex Blue was the follow up to 2000's "Internet purchase only" Vapor Blue and Reflex Yellow. Those were the first color concepts. Every CC through Isotope Green had black interiors, but Vortex Blue played on the "Total Black" interior option, they're all like that.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
So is it seriously that rare? I just bought the car you are talking about. Vortex blue with a 1.9L TDI. :D
I'd call VWoA. I don't think they only made one. That'd be crazy great if you got it! Show me pics Jordan :)

·
Super Moderator
14,755 Posts
I know! Isn't that awesome? :party:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
As far as I know there was only one. I used to chat with the gal that owned it. Her name was Emily I think. It's been awhile. She and her husband were on the TDI forum. I think he was a mod there. They had removed the back seat so their dogs could travel back there. She is the one that told me there was only one. It was a production mistake.

You never know though. She might have been wrong. They were based in Canada some where.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm pretty sure her name was Emily. I haven't chatted with her since maybe 03 or 04 so she could have sold it.

Either way - nice find. I would love to have a Vortex Blue TDI. That is probably my dream New Beetle.

·
Peace,joy, and Bugs
12 Posts
Once, and only once, did I ever see a Vortex NB on the road, about 3 years ago maybe.
I have seen online two Satellite Blues for sale in my area recently. I also saw a listing for a very light blue almost looking white, that was called "powder blue". I forget-it was either a 98 or 99. I don't know all the SE colors off the top of my head for sure, but I do recall the '01 Vortex Blue, '02 Luna Green, and '04 Satellite Blue for example. I saw it on cars.com or Vehix, but it must have sold since I don't see it listed anymore. I did not recall a SE in a very pale blue like that, so who knows-maybe someone custom painted it, but for sure, I can't recite from memory every SE color (or CC model for that matter either). Ads of course are not descriptive always, and often just state a generic color. As we all know, for example "Navy" Blue in an NB could mean Galactic Blue, Batik, Marlin Blue, SE Riviera, Shadow Blue, etc all depending on the year.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The pale blue that was almost white was the Internet Special Edition called Vapor Blue from 2000. The Reflex Yellow was issued at the same time.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I found Emily's husband on TDIClub, hopefully he answers my PM. :D

Was that VWDerf? Or someone else? I looked through my notes and couldn't find his name. I just remember him being a moderator on TDI Club.

It will be curious to see if this car is the same one.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
I found Emily's husband on TDIClub, hopefully he answers my PM. :D

NH Mike hasn't been on the tdiclub since January, good luck.

and pics of said TDI in a vortex blue engine bay (engine cover off please ) are required :)

21 - 40 of 64 Posts