NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first diesel, so be kind. I have a 2006 TDI Beetle. I was wondering how the cold start should go. I was told, that I should be able to just get in my beetle and start it like any other car. Is this true or does it need to warm up any glow plugs or anything else?

Also, should it just turn over and start like a gas car or is it ok to turn over several times before it starts? Mine turns over 8-10 times before it starts. Is this normal?

Would this be any different if the engine was warm?

For reference, it is 90°F in the moring here and 105°F in the afternoon.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
When the outside temperature is above 40F you do not need to let the glow plug light to go off before starting. You can start the TDI like any other gas engine. It may turn over a few times before starting and that's OK. It takes a few seconds for the fuel to pressurize before firing.
When the outside temperature is below 40F then you need to allow the glow plugs to warm up and turn the iginition only after the glow plug light goes out.
One other thing to remember is do not use the accelerator pedal at any time when starting the engine. This applies to hot or cold temperatures. The ECM will compensate electronically for changes in temperature and will adjust the starting RPM accordingly.

·
Probably MIA
2,799 Posts
this is my first diesel, so be kind. I have a 2006 tdi beetle. I was wondering how the cold start should go. I was told, that i should be able to just get in my beetle and start it like any other car. Is this true or does it need to warm up any glow plugs or anything else?

Also, should it just turn over and start like a gas car or is it ok to turn over several times before it starts? Mine turns over 8-10 times before it starts. Is this normal?

Would this be any different if the engine was warm?

For reference, it is 90°f in the moring here and 105°f in the afternoon.
rt*m

1 - 3 of 3 Posts