NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beetle is being repaired by the lot I bought it from, which has turned out to be a bit on the shady side. The beetle's check engine light came on and lo and behold, it has a Passat engine in it. After pointing out to the used car guy that he did not disclose this and had to under California law he has agreed to correct the problem causing the check engine light to come on at his expense. We got a P0411 error code, which according to the VW dealer who installed the diagnostic port, the car needs a mass airflow sensor and about four related hoses.

I gave this info to the lot and they have a mechanic that they use who will make the repair.

My question is this:

I need to confirm afterward, through an independant scan at my good ol' trusty Bugformance repair shop, that the problem has been resolved. How soon after the repair has been made can I get a scan done? Do I have to wait for the check engine light to come on again, or will the error code show up without the check engine light being on? When we identified the error code at the lot, it reset the check engine light and it stayed off for about two or three days before coming back on.

·
Registered
307 Posts
personally the 0411 codes for me came on within about 100 miles or sooner after being cleared if not repaired 100%. Not sure that helps but hopefully it will.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks H2O, that helps a lot. It sounds like I need to wait a couple of days before taking it in for a scan. I put 60+ miles a day on my car commuting to work, it won't take long, and I don't want to make the mistake of taking it in too early.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Do I have to wait for the check engine light to come on again, or will the error code show up without the check engine light being on? When we identified the error code at the lot, it reset the check engine light and it stayed off for about two or three days before coming back on.
I thought someone told me there will be no codes unless there is a light. (except in my case, my CEL doesn't work and never has!! Must be burnt out from being on so much! :rolleyes: )
Maybe someone who knows for sure can confirm this? I personally have found that most codes will return after a few hundred miles.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
There are plenty of codes that can be thrown without turning on the CEL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts