NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who can tell me the detailed procedures of replacing the ABS pump on a '99 Beetle? I'm having 01276 16-00 Signal out of specification and I already checked all the electrical points and fuse....Therefore I think the pump is bad.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Anyone who can tell me the detailed procedures of replacing the ABS pump on a '99 Beetle? I'm having 01276 16-00 Signal out of specification and I already checked all the electrical points and fuse....Therefore I think the pump is bad.
What specifically is out of spec? Is the code related to a wheel speed sensor or the pump itself? You may just have a bad connection or if in the Northeast you may have corroded wiring that would cause this. I would do a little more checking before replacing the ABS pump. If it is the pump it may be as simple as bad connection due to oxidation of connections or brushes in the pump motor itself. You can find a way to electrically activate the pump and see if it goes away or you could get on a wet road and do a panic stop and it may activate during the top. Either way I would rec doing a little more checking before replacing parts.
I am not sure how this pump comes off but most of them just bolt on with one or two bolts and an o ring seal. You might be able to remove it and clean the contacts and reassemble.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 01276 is related to the pump not speed sensors. I'm hoping it's just a bad connection too. I checked the pump's main connector which is the big one, no rust at all. I also replace the fuse box on top of the battery, no good. I don't know what else I can check. I'll do the pump trigger to see if it runs. However it happens that sometimes when the weather is very cold after I start the car the abs light goes off. I drive for a period(a few miles) then the light comes on again. I hope I don't have to replace the pump but would you please give me ome more information on where else I can check?

I checked with some instructions that they say I need a VAG-1869/2 tool to depress the brake pedal. I see that somebody say that he did this using a block of wood to hold the brake pedal I don't know if anybody has this experience before.

What specifically is out of spec? Is the code related to a wheel speed sensor or the pump itself? You may just have a bad connection or if in the Northeast you may have corroded wiring that would cause this. I would do a little more checking before replacing the ABS pump. If it is the pump it may be as simple as bad connection due to oxidation of connections or brushes in the pump motor itself. You can find a way to electrically activate the pump and see if it goes away or you could get on a wet road and do a panic stop and it may activate during the top. Either way I would rec doing a little more checking before replacing parts.
I am not sure how this pump comes off but most of them just bolt on with one or two bolts and an o ring seal. You might be able to remove it and clean the contacts and reassemble.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I searched on eHow and it says after disconnecting the hoses.

Anyway, I changed it without depressing the pedal. However, after I changed I cannot communicate with the new module using my laptop and VAG-COM cable any more. The unit I got is a used one and has exactly the same part number both on the pump and the controller. However I can't guarantee this new unit is a good one. I'm wondering does this mean the unit is bad or the new unit needs a "coding" by a dealer?

When or in what step does your manual say to depress the brake pedal?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I searched on eHow and it says after disconnecting the hoses.

Anyway, I changed it without depressing the pedal. However, after I changed I cannot communicate with the new module using my laptop and VAG-COM cable any more. The unit I got is a used one and has exactly the same part number both on the pump and the controller. However I can't guarantee this new unit is a good one. I'm wondering does this mean the unit is bad or the new unit needs a "coding" by a dealer?
I am not certain if and ABS Pump requires adaption; if you call Ross-Tech they should be able to tell you and if you do have to, they can give you those VCDS steps to do it.

And I did find the same eHow instructions and no I was not aware of that procedure, as I have never done that. Did your brake line bleeding go well?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bleeding went well. Anyway, I think I'm going to repair the original unit and put it back on. The problem is very simple just the 2 points of the pump need resoldering. I opened the controller with a saw(damn it it's too hard to open it) and found the 2 soldering points completely bad. I resoldered it, put it the cover back and sealed it with hot-melt glue and I'm going to put them back tonight. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

I am not certain if and ABS Pump requires adaption; if you call Ross-Tech they should be able to tell you and if you do have to, they can give you those VCDS steps to do it.

And I did find the same eHow instructions and no I was not aware of that procedure, as I have never done that. Did your brake line bleeding go well?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I reinstalled the unit last night but my wife was too lazy to help me bleeding the system.....I'll probably do it tonight and see if my method works.

Good luck and I hope that works. If possible take some pics of what you are doing, I would be interested in seeing them..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts