VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need help before buying a new compressor.

When I turn the A/C on both fans come on so I imagine it is not the fan relay. I have checked the fuses and hey ll look good. I can't tell if the clutch is engaging when the A/C is turned on. Is here a way to check the compressor is good and is there anything else that could be checked? I would hate to buy a new unit,drier and expension block to find out it was something else.
Also, When I tried to put new 134A in it the charge pressure was in the red on the gauge?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
605 Posts
What gauage? Are you talking about a Manifold gauge set?
The compressor will kick on. Listen for it. You will hear a clicking sound every few seconds as it cycles.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I need help before buying a new compressor.

When I turn the A/C on both fans come on so I imagine it is not the fan relay. I have checked the fuses and hey ll look good. I can't tell if the clutch is engaging when the A/C is turned on. Is here a way to check the compressor is good and is there anything else that could be checked? I would hate to buy a new unit,drier and expension block to find out it was something else.
Also, When I tried to put new 134A in it the charge pressure was in the red on the gauge?

Thanks for any help!
i have the same problem the clutch doesnt come on and even if you try to charge it but the gauge will read red if the clutch doesnt engage i want to find out my self so if you do let me know please

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, just went thru the same thing recently. Basically, since the fans are coming on, the next thing to check would be power to the ac compressor clutch. There is a connector that leads to the clutch(at the rear of the ac compressor, on top), check for voltage there. If no voltage, then check the green fuses on top of the battery. Verify they are good, look at these closely for others have reported problems there. If that checks out OK, then trace your AC compressor clutch wires back to the fan control module plug ins. Once you are sure of the 2 wires, connect a fused 12v and ground wire to them. You are checking that the wiring is good to the ac comp. clutch. You should here it kick in. If it does kick in, then the problem is probably the fan control module, thats what was wrong with mine.
Other things to check: High pressure switch, relay under the steering wheel, ac switch in top radiator hose.
Hope this helps, betting on fan control module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.