NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I recently got a 99 TDI. Beetle and I need help/tips on driving it its a 5 speed of course -__-
And I ain't good at pulling out I kill it 10000 times help lol :( all tips will help alot!!!!!
Thanks!!:)

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
You haven't driven a manual before? Just keep trying, make sure you push the clutch in all the way and let it out slowly and EVENLY. Accelerate EVENLY. Avoid jerky movements. The good thing about the TDI is that it the torque can pull the engine for quite a ways at very low speeds in first gear. This is helpful when you're learning to drive. Good luck! It's worth it!

·
Registered
248 Posts
x2 on the above comment.

As you slowly release the clutch and depress the accelerator, you'll find a friction point on the clutch where the car starts to move as the accelerator is depressed. If you have any jerky movement, push the clutch all the way in (w/o gassing it) so you don't kill it. You can also find a fairly empty lot to practice on finding that friction point. It takes some practice to get used to, once you pass that stage, you'll enjoy driving this car even more. :D

·
Super Moderator
14,787 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. Actually, the VW 5-speed is the easiest manual to drive, in my opinion.

Be glad you have one. The early automatics are junk.

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
My '98 is a manual as well. The first manual I've attempted to drive in at least 10 years. I just wanted the beetle so bad I just went for it. I was so bad at it that I had to ask the seller to drive down the road to a grocery store parking lot so I could practice in safety. After that it was a good few weeks of pure frustration. Dead stop at the crest of a hill and just couldn't get it. Eventually a cop pulled over and gave me a few pointers. Haha.

If I can get the hang of it, then anyone can. Take advantage of some parking lots and less traveled back roads. Believe me, once it becomes second nature, you're gonna be lost in an automatic car (why's it feel like there's a pedal missing? ...hmmm).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips! I'm A Newbie at a 5speed!!!! My Main Problem is pulling out i hold the clutch all the way and press the gas to about 1500 RPM and let the clutch out slowly and it stalls out :/ how much RPM does it need to be to get it moving?

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
That's a toughy. I usually go by how it sounds/feels. If it sounds/feels a bit excessive... like you should gear up... then you can tone it back. Also, are you starting in first or second gear? My '98 simply crawls in first, so I always start in second. Then again, my car has 15 years of prior owner neglect into it, so it may just be worn that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I Get Going Shifting Is A Piece Of Cake And Reverse Its just Pulling out It dont like me lol.It Has A Recently New Clutch In It.I think i need to try the parking lot trick!! will it hurt my bug alot by killing it?lol

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
I wouldnt think so....

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
Make sure you are definitely letting the clutch out slow. 1500rpm is more than enough to get the car going. If you let out slow enough you can just crawl along in first without even pushing the gas pedal on a TDI. They just have enough torque. They are pretty hard to stall. Are you sure you're in 1st gear??

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bought my '06 5 speed TDI before learning how to drive stick :confused: My dad took me around our small town and back streets to practice. I killed mine several times before getting it right, still do occasionally. One trick my former boss gave me was clutch + gas = 100%, so all clutch no gas, all gas no clutch. At first to release the clutch, I drug my foot across the floor mat while easing down on the gas, there is a little ridge on the mat that my heel would catch on, so that made me go easy on the clutch.

PS my learning to drive tank was 36 mpg, I consistently get 41-42 mpg now (7 months later), I only have a 30 mile commute so it lowers my mpg a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may have been in 3rd lol I'm new at learning all the gears!! Thanks everyone for the tips!! :)
I think ive been letting out the clutch a little to fast!! I hope I learn soon cause I don't wanna
see my little bug go!! How long did it take you guys to learn to drive a 5 speed? Ive been practicing
For about 2 weeks!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Don't give up. My first car was a 5 speed so I was learning to drive at the same time I was learning a manual transmission and I took my time, probably 6 months or more. Make sure you know your gears, get a feel for each one. If you don't learn now when will you learn? You WILL get it, don't let your brain say otherwise. My mom taught me on her 95 Geo Prizm and I drove it over a landscaped area in our church parking lot, filled with small rocks and low-lying bushes because I accelerated too fast. :eek: Driving a manual is sooooo much more fun than an automatic, you're going to love it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
You will get it. I've been driving manual for over 25yrs. My first time driving a manual was an old 1949 chevy pick up 4 speed and it had manual steering not fun

sent from DROID. 2001 NB 2.0 manual Cyber Green

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Easiest way to do it is sit with the car running and the handbrake on hard.

Then slowly bring the clutch up and listen for the engine note to change and the back end to start to squat, that is your biting point of the clutch, that's when it engages. You can set off in a diesel without any gas pressed at all quite easily by just learning how to use a clutch properly.

Once you're confident you've found that then you're golden. You'll get used to the feel when it bites an how to use it.

Another thing to learn is a hill start. Find a hill somewhere with a decent gradient and learn how to set off. Master them and you can drive anywhere.

A clutch is a wonderful tool that once you get used to it you'll wonder why all the lazy people don't use them. Personally I can't stand automatics, I like to feel what my car is doing and choose when I change gear myself.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Make sure you are definitely letting the clutch out slow. 1500rpm is more than enough to get the car going. If you let out slow enough you can just crawl along in first without even pushing the gas pedal on a TDI. They just have enough torque. They are pretty hard to stall. Are you sure you're in 1st gear??
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled out finally yyyaaaaayyyy
Oh one more question I got the eyelids for my bug but two sided tape
will not stick them at all :( anyone got any tips please?lol they're so cute!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I work for Target, there are 3 big intersections with red lights after i get off the highway. i did not drive mine to work for a month, the first day i had to be at work @ 5 am, it was a few days before i drove it again.

·
Diesel Freak
596 Posts
Keep practicing with your clutch technique...

A TDI can pull away with no throttle applied, easily...

I can idle all the way thru 5th gear with both my TDIs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts