NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - do you have an Armrest that droops, that seems to have come loose from the ratcheting mechanism and won't stay in the position that you set it to...basically has your center armerest gone LIMP?

Here's a quick and easy solution....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Start by removing the trim panel on the driver's side and the one nut on the drivers side that holds the entire assembly up. I believe it is a 14mm nut.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling the assembly out you can then take off the opposite side trim.

You will notice the white polyethylene looking cylinder sticking up about 1/8" on either side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These rings/cylinders are supposed to be flush in order to allow the ratcheting mechanism to work properly.

I placed one side on a jack stand then took a rubber hammer to pound the bejeesus...just kidding, just tap the cylinder into the assembly until flush. Turn over and tap a couple times on the other side until flush as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There you have it - install in reverse order. You have to put the passenger trim on the assembly before placing the assembly back in the console...then the nut/bolt...then trim.

I say this is a quick and easy solution, because in 6 months, give or take, you will probably be repeating this process. I haven't looked into how you can permanently keep this cylinder from popping out. If anyone has any solutions, let me know and I will add it to this how-to.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duffy had a great suggestion...

Drill a small hole (0.125") thru the aluminum sleeve and plastic insert and push in a small piece of wire, piano, copper or drill rod etc. thru both. Drill straight thru both sides. I assume there is nothing in the hole or the piece doesn't move. If so, then use a small rivet to hold the piece in place.
So - if someone gets around to doing this before my next limp action, let me know how it goes and I will add it to the How to.

I only wonder if the plastic bit doesn't rotate around with the moving of the armrest position...this should be easy enough to investigate once off the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello new here I'm having the same problem but the plastic pieces are flush already. It makes the ratchet sound but just doesn't catch everything looks as it should no visible cracks. Buttons seem to work is there something else im overlooking that can be done armrest is out of the car right now. Thanks for the help if anything can be done

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hello new here I'm having the same problem but the plastic pieces are flush already. It makes the ratchet sound but just doesn't catch everything looks as it should no visible cracks. Buttons seem to work is there something else im overlooking that can be done armrest is out of the car right now. Thanks for the help if anything can be done
I would guess that whatever is on the other end of the button isn't locking in place anymore. Also, are the notches aligned?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts