NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Title User Custom
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couldn't find an existing write-up on this, and I am not content with spending money on an absurdly simple electrical item. So I took it apart in hopes or repairing it, turns out it's very easy to do.

This is meant to resolve turn signal issue on earlier New Beetles, and appears to be an overly common issue.

Typical turn signal related symptoms of this are:

-Turn signals will click once, and fail to flash.
-Intermittent flashing.
-Only works when you bump/tap the switch

=======================================================================

Difficulty: Easy

Tools needed:
-Small flathead jewelers screwdriver, or something equally tiny.
-Something small, and round. (I used a small allen key in this case)

=======================================================================

Step 1: Remove your Hazard switch from the center console, there are many other write ups on how to do this.

I'll skip this one, if someone provides a well written link I'll paste it in here.

Step 2: Stare at your switch, this will scare it into submission making it easier to dis-assemble. (Optional)

Step 3: Looking at the bottom of the button you'll notice a small red tab. (See picture) Using your screwdriver, push down and forward on it. This will enable you to remove the button face.

With the button face removed you will now have this.

Step 4: Breaking into the housing is next step, there is no particularly easy simple way to do this without scratching up the plastic a bit. One side does have a very small hole allowing you to get it started. I used a screwdriver on the side to create a gap, then another to hold the casing up. Then pried on the other side to serprate the two.

Step 5: Slide the plastic casing off the switch assembly.

Step 5.1: This is the section we will be focusing on. There are two contacts in here, that are very small, and hard to get to. In the simplest explainable manner, the contacts wear causing them not to function as intended. This will cause the above issues mentioned at the beginning. Cleaning may solve this issue, however there is no easy way to do that, as it's near impossible to get to. So we will do the next best thing and arch the contracts downwards a bit

Step 6: Using the picture as a guide, you will need to wedge your small, round, and hard tool of choice into the gap on the top of the contact. With this in place, you will push back up on the actuating arm (See screwdriver in picture) to put a slight bend into the contact. As it is thin copper, this will take very little effort.

Step 7: Repeat the same on the other side.

Step 8: Connect switch to car in it's current state, and test it out. You should now find that your blinkers now blink with optimal blinkyness.

Step 9: If it's still not working giving you just a single click, try adding a bit more arch to it or spray the contacts with electrical parts cleaner. If it still does not work; some other aspect of the switch is likely broken, or you did it wrong. Just pay the $20 to replace it.

Step 10: Re-assemble switch in reverse order, install in car, and enjoy. Until it stops working again in a few years, because well... it's a VW after all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder if it is possible to take out the stock relay and put an electronic relay in. Does it seems possible or would it be a soldering nightmare.

·
Sbgrn58
2 Posts
Turn Signal/Hazard Relay replacement

Hi,
I have a 2009 New Beetle and both turn signals and hazard flasher abruptly stopped working yesterday. I am fairly certain that I need to replace the turn signal/hazard flasher relay. I know what this part looks like because I have found a picture of one but I need to know HOW to replace it ... how to get the old one out, etc. I have the NEW style hazard flasher that is triangular and right above the radio. PLEASE ... can anyone give me instructions on how to do this???
Thanks!!

·
Herbie's Nurse Dude
26 Posts
It works. Kind of.... It allowed me to have a turn signal but no blink. So I went to junk yard and paid $5 and got a used one! Works great. All turn signals and hazard works great!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Before attempting to open up the switch/relay, give it time to warm up inside first - plastic becomes stupidly brittle when cold!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow thank you SooOoOo much!! I'm headed to the bay right now for the dead shows and had this lingering excuse to get pulled over (I think with a sport model cops magnitize to my car! :(() but you just saved me and now my baby Guats (short for Guadeloupe- name she came with) she's working again!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts