VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted my question in other thread (http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/29223-center-dash-piece-removal.html#post666193) but go no response therefore I post the question under its name.

I read http://newbeetle.org/forums/technic...acement-turn-signals-hazards-not-working.html but unfortunately can't pass step 4 and cannot post question in original thread.

I have heated seats and I feel like wiring harness is holding the lower plate from being moved around. How do I remove it after all screws are undone? I can wiggle the plate but just a little bit.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
There are only four screws that hold that in place; if you can "wiggle" it then you have missed something. Are you the original owner of the NB? If not the previous owner(s) may have put another screw or rivet to hold it in place if something was previously cracked or broken.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.. I've finally broken 'bezel' a bit (plastic piece with all switches, heat adjusters, and emergency lights).

If someone else is struggling with removing, here is the sequence after all screws are undone (step 4 @ http://newbeetle.org/forums/technic...acement-turn-signals-hazards-not-working.html).

1. Pull bezel (plastic cover) a bit on you as far as it goes. The top edge won't allow to go far as it is held by the center dash.
  2. Lower the rear part such that the bezel is slope at 45 degrees to horizon. Wire harnesses are stiff, but the length is just enough.
  3. Once it is sloped, you should be able to move it down (still sloped). It will allow to disengage the top edge of bezel and pass plastic pins.

Here http://newbeetle.org/forums/technic...ement-turn-signals-hazards-not-working-2.html some people say that one can simply pull emergency switch out. That is not quite correct at least on my 2002 GLS 2.0 . Light sensor (looks like white stripe at the very bottom of bezel. See picture from step 1 of how to) is on the same wire harness as emergency switch. It won't allow to pull switch out without removing this light sensor as well. Which is hard to put back without taking the bezel off.

P.S. New bezel is $20, labor to replace switch at dealership is $60. But I used glue, since dealer didn't have new bezel at hand :)
P.P.S. Switch itself was $30
P.P.P.S. Emergency switch indeed was the problem

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure if my 2000 NB is different but I bought a new hazard relay switch for $31 from the VW dealer this morning and replaced the unit in my garage in about 2 minutes.

I basically pulled the hazard switch out as much as possible from its lower edge, then inserted a flat blade into the top edge to release the upper retention tab. Pulling on the hazard button, I disconnected it from the harness.

Next, I popped out one of the adjacent blank switches to make more room for my fingers and nimbly pulled the harness out so that I could firmly connect the new hazard relay switch to the harness. Once connected, I pushed the whole assembly back in. I then replaced the adjacent blank switch and all was complete.

I noticed the new hazard relay switches are much quieter than the old/original one.

·
Steve
1 Posts
Relay Replacement

Thanks for the tips, and step by step instruction. It worked exactly as stated, turn signals now work AOK. The hazard switch/relay cost about $29 us dollars, including CA sales tax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have 2002 NB TDI Followed several posts and just swapped out Hazard relay. Price from dealer? 45.77 USD with tax. A specialty electrical shop said have to replace steering column assy. $1100.00.Thanks to all who have posted. I'll Be Back

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turn Signal Relay fixed. Thank you!

Thanks to tribangle for the great directions on the hazard relay replacement. I started having problems Monday afternoon. Got on the forum that night and discovered your excellent directions. I ordered the part and received it last night. I got up half an hour earlier than normal this morning and replaced the part! Thanks so much for the help. :nblove:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts