NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just broke my left side backup light during my back up parking tonite. I check from ebay, it cost $14.95 and still reasonable price. But, does anyone know how to install it? Please help if anyone did it b4, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea, I haven't think about it. But do u know where can I get the red lens? I checked so many places, they only sell original clear color...any help?

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
red lense is useless unless you have a euroswitch to turn on the rear fog.

however, to install your new lense do the following.

go to the hardware store with your new lense. find a pair of metric nuts that screw on easily to the studs inserted in the lense. (trust me you WILL need them)

if you have ramps, back the car onto them (rhino ramps preferred)
if you do not have ramps, use a curb, or some different length 2x4s stacked 2 or 3 high on their sides to raise that corner of the back of the car slightly. you only need enough room to get your head/arm under the car to see what you are doing.

there is a metal shield over the reverse light held on with 2 nuts (8mm or 10mm iirc) on a bug that is 5-6 years old, you might wind up unscrewing the studs from your original lense because the nuts are rusted on.

once you get both nuts/studs loose, remove the bulb holder with a 1/8-1/4 twist counterclockwise (dont force it, I might be off and you have to turn it clockwise, i AM going by memory here :p) and pull straight back.

then the old lense should fall out of the rear bumper.

push the new lense in place of the old. carefully reinstall the bulb holder, put the metal shield back over the new studs, and use your new nuts to hold it on.

congrats. you are done :)

it is the same procedure for installing the red euro rear fog lense

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about just the light bulb?

Anyone have insights for changing the lightbulb? I have one burned out. The lens is not broken. This is on the passenger side. The one on the driver side is easily accessible from below. The passenger-side light has a panel below it. Guess I have to try removing that panel!? TIA

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll answer my own question. Turns out the bulb assembly can be accessed from below thru a small opening in the panel. No tools required! So never mind.

·
Registered
306 Posts
what bulb does it take? mine is burned out as well on the passenger side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts