NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Since I heard the auto trans is prone to failure I'm wondering what preventative maintenance I can do other than a fluid change. One was done about 25,000 km ago, new pan and filter too. So my questions:

1. How can I find out which model of transmission I have (eg O2J etc)?
2. Should I do a tranny fluid change (drain/refill) at more frequent intervals now that the car is older?
3. What else can I do proactively?

There's no problems now, still shifting smooth (knock on wood), but would like to keep it that way since if the tranny breaks then wife probably won't agree to shell out $3000 or whatever to fix it and we'd have to get rid of it, which I definitely don't want to anytime soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To extend life in any trans, keep the fluids clean, filters changed and don't hammer the trans with the gas pedal. Basic.

Trans model is listed on a "mini" build sheet located in the spare tire well (~2.5" x 3"). Ours is an '02, 2.0 with a four-speed auto = 01M. There will be a trans code listed, like FDF in our case. There's another thread that translates the code and year along with the engine to the model of trans. Not simple; not sure why.

Good luck.

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
If you lift up the carpet in the trunk, there is a sticker that has a bunch of numbers on it. Write down all those numbers, and enter them in the box on this link,
VW Group Option Codes Decoder,
And it will tell you a lot of things about your car.
Barb

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The O2J is a 5 Speed Manual transmission which I have in my 2000 New Beetle. You have the O1M 4 speed automatic transmission. They don't have a very good reputation and seem to have a very high failure rate. The two items that fail most frequently on those transmissions are the valve body and the G68 Output speed sensor. There really isn't much you can do in regards to preventative maintenance. Just keep the fluid clean. I would change it every 30,000 miles or 50,000km. Perhaps you can install an aftermarket transmission cooler. That sometimes helps to keep the transmission fluid cool which reduces overall wear.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot everyone for the info. Yeah I was worried they are prone to failure so I was wondering what else I can do. I'll look into an aftermarket cooler then possibly and see if it's worth it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5-speed swap
Yes been reading in the forums here and I previously didn't even know that was possible. Just curious, anyone know if the procedure is hard to do (i.e. must get it done at a transmission shop) and just curious approx. how much it costs (as compared to buying a new auto tranny)? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Here's a complete swap for sale here. Yes people do the swap for less than replacing the auto transmission and it's a much more reliable setup. Transmission shops are kind of a trap IMO. Unless you're specifically having a transmission rebuilt they're not of much use. I wouldn't have them do any real kind of mechanical work on an import.

F/S: MKIV ALH 5spd transmission swap parts - TDIClub Forums

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yes been reading in the forums here and I previously didn't even know that was possible. Just curious, anyone know if the procedure is hard to do (i.e. must get it done at a transmission shop) and just curious approx. how much it costs (as compared to buying a new auto tranny)? Thanks.
A new 4 Speed Automatic for your car is around $2000 plus shipping and installation. A 5 Speed swap would probably be a little more since besides a new transmission and differential, clutch, flywheel and axles you will need a wiring harness, new floor pedals, new computer/ECM-TCM plus other various hardware.
Either way the expense will not be cheap. If it were me I would keep the Auto tranny for now and then when you are ready I would just sell the Beetle and get one that does already have a 5 or 6 Speed from the factory.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
You don't need to do any wiring at all. You can change the ECM from auto to manual in VAG-COM. The cluster will always have the PRND21 area but it just won't work anymore.

Here's a good source of info on the swap. The only one who can make this decision is you, don't listen to any of us we're all biased from our own life experiences, etc.

VWVortex.com - 01M to 02J transmission swap on my 2001 Jetta 2.0 (AZG) silver

1 - 10 of 10 Posts