NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dissassembled my driver's side door on a 2004 New Beetle convertable in order to resolder the microswithches in the door lock mechanism.

Problem: the window is stuck in the complete down position and the window will not operate as the door "thinks" it is open and that the alarm has been activated.

Thus, I cannot remove the door lock mechanism with the microswithches as the window needs to be raised to remove it.

Question: How do I manually raise the window? Can I manually manipulate the regulator?

Thanks for any insight,

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the diagrams.

The window is stuck all the way down preventing me from removing the two screws that clamp the window to the door regulater. Thus, I cannot remove the window to repair the lock micro-switches. Also, if my regulator is bad--I have to remove the window to replace it as well as it comes in a kit with the window rails and all. So, I am in a pickle if I can't raise the window.

Any tips?

John

·
1,255 Posts
I don't know how to tell you to get the window up from the stuck down position. Just wondering if it is mechanically jambed in the down position that a little nudging would get it going. Check for battery voltage to the controller, check switch operation and verify that you don't have an electrical issue. I really don't know how to advise. Maybe some other org'er will have an answer for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Duffy.

It appears to not be mechanically jammed. I have moved it around--no go.

However--the car thinks the door is permanently open--and I think that is interrupting the regulator.

Or--I have two problems--a bad regulator and a bad micro-switch. Either way I am dead in the water without 1st raising the window so that I can remove it.

·
1,255 Posts
Check the voltage to the control module. Be sure UP or DOWN window switch is not stuck in the on position. I can't see where the window controller would care if the door is open or closed, except for the drop down feature in the Verts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the voltage to the control module. Be sure UP or DOWN window switch is not stuck in the on position. I can't see where the window controller would care if the door is open or closed, except for the drop down feature in the Verts.
This may be true. Also--my top will not come down now.

I read in another thread here that the micro-switches will effect all of the problems I am experiencing.

No matter what--I have to raise that window to do anything as it is blocking my access to removing the door lock and the regulator system.

Bummer.

I guess it's kind of cool driving with the chime and light buzzer going off at the same time while the lock swithches on and off repeatedly--then when I pull out the key the alarm goes off. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wondering. Have you tried raising or lowering all windows with the key in the driver's door?
I have--it works sporadically--if I push hard on the door. However--the driver's window remains down.

Also--if I push hard on the door from the outside I can work the door lock switch. When I release the pressure--nothing works.

I believe (I am at work now) that I can manually turn the gears on the regulator to move the window up. I just hope I don't break something.

I just saw your post from the manuel--and yes--I have done this. It only works when I press hard on the door. That was my 1st clue that a micro-processor was failing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts