VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have dissassembled my driver's side door on a 2004 New Beetle convertable in order to resolder the microswithches in the door lock mechanism.

Problem: the window is stuck in the complete down position and the window will not operate as the door "thinks" it is open and that the alarm has been activated.

Thus, I cannot remove the door lock mechanism with the microswithches as the window needs to be raised to remove it.

Question: How do I manually raise the window? Can I manually manipulate the regulator?

Thanks for any insight,

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the diagrams.

The window is stuck all the way down preventing me from removing the two screws that clamp the window to the door regulater. Thus, I cannot remove the window to repair the lock micro-switches. Also, if my regulator is bad--I have to remove the window to replace it as well as it comes in a kit with the window rails and all. So, I am in a pickle if I can't raise the window.

Any tips?

John

·
1,255 Posts
I don't know how to tell you to get the window up from the stuck down position. Just wondering if it is mechanically jambed in the down position that a little nudging would get it going. Check for battery voltage to the controller, check switch operation and verify that you don't have an electrical issue. I really don't know how to advise. Maybe some other org'er will have an answer for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Duffy.

It appears to not be mechanically jammed. I have moved it around--no go.

However--the car thinks the door is permanently open--and I think that is interrupting the regulator.

Or--I have two problems--a bad regulator and a bad micro-switch. Either way I am dead in the water without 1st raising the window so that I can remove it.

·
1,255 Posts
Check the voltage to the control module. Be sure UP or DOWN window switch is not stuck in the on position. I can't see where the window controller would care if the door is open or closed, except for the drop down feature in the Verts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the voltage to the control module. Be sure UP or DOWN window switch is not stuck in the on position. I can't see where the window controller would care if the door is open or closed, except for the drop down feature in the Verts.
This may be true. Also--my top will not come down now.

I read in another thread here that the micro-switches will effect all of the problems I am experiencing.

No matter what--I have to raise that window to do anything as it is blocking my access to removing the door lock and the regulator system.

Bummer.

I guess it's kind of cool driving with the chime and light buzzer going off at the same time while the lock swithches on and off repeatedly--then when I pull out the key the alarm goes off. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wondering. Have you tried raising or lowering all windows with the key in the driver's door?
I have--it works sporadically--if I push hard on the door. However--the driver's window remains down.

Also--if I push hard on the door from the outside I can work the door lock switch. When I release the pressure--nothing works.

I believe (I am at work now) that I can manually turn the gears on the regulator to move the window up. I just hope I don't break something.

I just saw your post from the manuel--and yes--I have done this. It only works when I press hard on the door. That was my 1st clue that a micro-processor was failing.

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have dissassembled my driver's side door on a 2004 New Beetle convertable in order to resolder the microswithches in the door lock mechanism.

Problem: the window is stuck in the complete down position and the window will not operate as the door "thinks" it is open and that the alarm has been activated.

Thus, I cannot remove the door lock mechanism with the microswithches as the window needs to be raised to remove it.

Question: How do I manually raise the window? Can I manually manipulate the regulator?

Thanks for any insight,

John
Quick your key in the driver door Lock, and turn it to the unlock position but hold it there until the window roles down. Turn it in the opposite way to roll it back up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts