VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you remove the center console, budvase holder , top of door panel, grip bar, and the thing over the speedometer so I can paint them? And what kind of paint do I use? I'd really like some help.. I feel like no one ever notices any of my posts on here :/ don't feel the love

>>United States Air Force

·
Registered
377 Posts
Im sorry, I too feel like a late comer who doesnt quite fit in.lol a few are real good ata posting others not so much.

The bits by steering column and grab bar just pinch and pul off. the front center dash close to window you push forward and lift out .. look for how to change cabin filter it will show you. There is also a good post on the misbox for A/C heat that shows how to remove the center dash piece, involves screws and removing radio.

I dont know exactly how the speedo visor comes off. Ive tried , seems to pull free at spots . I too an considering painting dash pieces and will attempt soon

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want to do that too. Just the center part though. I guess you need some special tool to remove the stereo?

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to paint dash and other interior pieces, I hate the grey in my car and I wanna give it some character I'll deft try and attempt to paint the dash when I do more research :)

>>United States Air Force<<

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to do that too. Just the center part though. I guess you need some special tool to remove the stereo?
Yeah I'm pretty sure you need like a special key, I had to take my beetle to best buy so they can put an iPod adaptor in and I heard them talking about how it needed a key of some sort.. Idk where you'd buy those

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want to paint dash and other interior pieces, I hate the grey in my car and I wanna give it some character I'll deft try and attempt to paint the dash when I do more research :)

Other than the piece around the stereo, they're pretty easy to remove. I just replaced the cabin air filter which requires removing the center piece and passenger side and it wasn't too bad.

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
From the beginning:

Stereo: If it's factory you will need the removal keys. These are easy enough to get off ebay or you can pop down to your local dealer and they will release it for you. Then it's just a case of pulling it out and unplugging the wires behind.

Grab handle: Just prise the covers off each side and there is a screw behind each one, undo those and it's off.

Centre console: Start with the grab handle and stereo removal. Then at the bottom you have the panel with the hazard switch just below the heater controls. Price off the end caps and there's 2 screws behind there. Look underneath the same panel and there's 2 screws there. There's 2 where the stereo sits as well.
Move to the top where the gap is between the very front panel and the centre console push forward on that, it should just push away and you can lift that out. If you look where that clipped in there should be a couple more screws. Just check behind the other cover nearest to the centre console at the side of the steering wheel if there's one there as well.
After that the console should just pull toward you and out.

Cover for speedo: The binnacle part just pulls off. If you want the rear part off as well you have to remove the speedo itself. After you pull the binnacle off you will see a screw at each side, undo those. The speedo will then pull forward. Look behind it and you will see 2 cables going into it, unclip those, remove speedo. Then you will see a few screws holding the other part of the speedo cover on, Undo those and remove.

Budvase holder and other cover near steering wheel: Just pull off.

Door panel tops: Part of the door card.
To remove the door card you first need to prise off the door handle cover and take out the 2 screws behind. Then at the bottom edge of the door card you should see 3 screws, undo them. Lower window.
Pull the door card toward you and the clips holding it on will release. Then you have to prise up the top edge of the door card which is easier to do from the outside, hence lowering the window. Once the top edge is loose you then release all the connections behind the door card. Don't worry about remembering where they go, they all have their unique place.
The top panel is actually plastic welded to the rest.

Painting: Any of the rubber coated surfaces obviously need the rubber off first. Acetone and sanding is the easiest method tbh. After that get a GOOD plastic primer. Choose your paint, I used graffiti paint as it's as hard as nails but auto paint will be fine.

The one thing to remember is that most of the screws have a Triple square head to them. You can get away with using a Torx bit to take them out and these are easily got off ebay. T15 or T20 are the common sizes.

Hope that covered most of it and if you need help doing any just send a pm.

I did my own centre console and the handbrake surround.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just picked up the stereo removal tools at walmart. It comes with various little tools but, includes the VW tool for 5-6 bucks

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Normally it will hold it as you're not putting in another car and it should be held in the memory.

To be sure you i would have it to hand.

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a factory cd player, I have a alpine stereo in right now. What kind of paint can I use on the plastic parts? And where could I get pink paint? right now I just want to paint the middle center console that goes all the way back in the dash

And thanks SO much for the help

·
Registered
158 Posts
I started messin with ours today. The stuff i used to get that sticky rubber coating off was a bit too strong..lol..I kinda messed up the plastic a little. Then I found a thread that said to use "Greased Ligtning" to remove it...that's as far as I got.

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started messin with ours today. The stuff i used to get that sticky rubber coating off was a bit too strong..lol..I kinda messed up the plastic a little. Then I found a thread that said to use "Greased Ligtning" to remove it...that's as far as I got.
For the center console? It has rubber in it? Lol what is greased lightning?!

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
The coating on the centre console is a rubber like substance. As I said best way to get it off is acetone and sandpaper, just take your time.

Paint wise you need a good plastic primer and then the paint of your choice.

For the alpine, just look for removal keys on ebay, plenty on there.

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
I will drive a RH drive car before I croak!! I think that's so awesome!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
For the center console? It has rubber in it? Lol what is greased lightning?!

"greased lightning" is just a cleaner/degreaser. You can find it in the cleaning aisle at walmart or dollar general.(white bottle with lightning bolts on it)
Ya know how you get all those scratches around the radio knobs etc...that's actually that soft rubber junk scratching...especially from girls rings lol...once you get that off it's smooth hard plastic

P.S. I saw pink paint at Lowes today

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
"greased lightning" is just a cleaner/degreaser. You can find it in the cleaning aisle at walmart or dollar general.(white bottle with lightning bolts on it)
Ya know how you get all those scratches around the radio knobs etc...that's actually that soft rubber junk scratching...especially from girls rings lol...once you get that off it's smooth hard plastic

GLightning doea work- just takes more elbow grease than GLightning.

If you use acetone DO NOT SOAK YOUR PLASTIC PARTS IN IT. Your parts will melt. The dip pad & wipe/scrub meathod is much safer.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.com App

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Ohhhhh yeah I know what your talking about, I have random scratches from my rings on my finger lol.
So just put on that grease lighting and then I can paint with primer and then the paint? If you attempt this on your beetle very soon post pictures on here!

And was the paint you saw spray paint?

Ps-And I just read your thread of when you got your beetle ^.^ pretty beetle

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GLightning doea work- just takes more elbow grease than GLightning.

If you use acetone DO NOT SOAK YOUR PLASTIC PARTS IN IT. Your parts will melt. The dip pad & wipe/scrub meathod is much safer.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.com App
Dip pad and wipe scrub?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.