NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How ya durrin,

I'm about to do some painting and I need some help. Does anybody out there know how to paint the BOWLING BALL PATTERN. It's also known as MARBLEING. I've done the marble technique with crafts but as you know, auto paint is a different animal.

I went to a body shop here in town who'll do it for me, but i'm handy with paint and if i'm steered in the right direction, I just might DIY.

Does anybody know how to do this or know where I can get the info. I'll do a google with hopes that'll help me out.

Thanks loads
Scarab Y2k

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oyveychris said:
Scarab, you're not thinkin' of painting your head now are ya?:D
Ya know, i've been considering it. :lol:

Hey FineExampl,

I know what you're talking about. I've used this technique for some plaster of paris vases that i've done in me ol home. This effect can also be done with a spray called webbing, which i've also used. I've considered both methods and have been pondering as of late just buying a can of webbing and calling my project done. The only drawback (at least I think it is one)is that the final result will give your surface a textured feel. What is your opinion on that. I was wanting a smooth finish as if it were a single piece of material.

I did find a product by SEM paint called Venom Art Fluid. I recieved a how-to CD-ROM from the SEM rep. This is the route i'll be going with. I'll take pics as I do it from start to finish.
This product is some cool stuff. you can do the marble effect, wood grain effect and even a snake skin effect. If anyone is interested, I have an extra copy of the CD-ROM to pass along. I'll keep you guys posted on buttercups progress.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
That sounds interesting. Now you have me considering some radical paint ideas. As you were saying, a textured look might not cut the mustard. Smooth is ALWAYS the way to go with a Beetle.

Be sure to take photos of the progress. New painting techniques are always cool.

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FineExampl said:
Smooth is ALWAYS the way to go with a Beetle.
Ah yeeah. You know that's how we get down. Schmoove baby! no i don't actually talk like this::D Well, maybe I do if you get me hyped up and stuff.

I guess the cat's out of the bag. I'm doing the bowling ball/marbeling effect on my top door trim and stereo/ac surround/center dash. Black base coat with gold marbeling. When the gold settles into the black base coat, it should be a close match to the tan interior. I think it'll look cool without making it look like a hooptie/ghetto ride. And yes, i'll keep you posted on buttercups progress fo sho!

If you're serious and interested, lemmie know if you want that extra Art Fluid CD-ROM. The sales rep blessed me with an extra copy, so it's only fair if I bless someone else.:cool:

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
The only drawback (at least I think it is one)is that the final result will give your surface a textured feel.

with enough coats of clear any texture becomes smooth. Just keep piling them on.

·
College Student..WOOT!
104 Posts
If the clear begins to feel textured spray some extra clear, let it dry for a day or so, then lightly water sand with 1500 or a finer grit wet/dry paper. After that clean off the car and prep it for more clear. When everything is nice and dry after the last round of clear (give it a few days just to be sure) give the car a nice buffing with a buffer and a gentle buffing compound to give it that deep shine. :D

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scaraby2k said:
The only drawback (at least I think it is one)is that the final result will give your surface a textured feel.
gilligan said:
with enough coats of clear any texture becomes smooth. Just keep piling them on.
Funny. True, but funny. No worries though. The venom art fluid is an automotive paint/medium and will give the same results as if I used House of Kolor products. Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check out HOK's site just for kicks anyway:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts