NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 3M carbon fiber and want to apply it to the side mirrors. Googled and tried a lot but none works... does anyone know how to remove that cover? Do I need to remove the mirror first, or just use some tools to remove? Thanks!:):)

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Good question; there are not any paper service manuals, as this point. The only service manuals I know of; are VW's erWin subscription service, you can join for one day and download all the manuals for your car, in .pdf format. Hopefully, it has disassembly information; that you need.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you found the trick? I am looking to paint my mirror covers. Can you let me know how you removed them?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Depending on how many miles (and where you live, probably), (i.e. climatic conditions/dusty/roads, etc), will pretty much push you in what happens.
I have had MY mirrors/parts/pieces, etc, off my car dozens of times, trying to fit mirror covers/mirrors, sequential lights, you name it, all at one time or another.
IF you've never had your mirrors themselves off, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL. I broke BOTH of mine at different times. (my first problem, is I have absolutely NO
patience). A virtue I wish I had...…….bug I digress.
If you youtube, there are plenty of videos showing how to get that mirror cover off. Getting the mirror themselves WAS the hardest part of my dealio.
I tried lubing, (all sortsa stuff), and the lube gig did'nt work for me. But, ONCE the mirrors are removed, (held in place with springs that go around in a circle
behind (obviously), the mirror. This mirror setup/guts is again, EXTREMELY fragile/thin/twinky. Any time you're playing with the mirrors, is a crapshoot as to the
final outcome (break or no break), with those.
In either case, IF you do get the mirrors off, then there are two little wires for the heating element of the (obviously), heated mirrors. I usually use a needle nose pliers, and
pull them off.
Then, (I brain fart this part....been a while)………..you either CAN, or CANNOT see 2 little clips on the upper (like under the top mirror cover). You take a small standard screwdriver,
and gently push/pull (you'll see when you are there). Either way, THAT loosens the clips that lock the mirror cover in place. Again, you MIGHT have to remove the front part of the mirror (black part
that goes around OUTSIDE of front of mirror....I forget). If you do, end up HAVING to, to gain access to those upper clips, be EXTREMELY careful taking THAT part off too. I ended up snapping off the ends of the clear turn signal extensions on both mirrors. (easily super glued back on...……...many times...……..).
Good luck, have fun.

Also, putting even your OEM mirror covers back on, (IM ASSUMING YOURE WORKING ON A USA BUILT/MEXICO BUILT), VW BEETLE. /even if you're doing that, THOSE can be kind of a PITA to get back on. But, once you do, you'll wonder how you did. LOL.
Again, good luck.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Here's a pic (for what its worth), lol, of my carbon fiber mirror covers.

Also, a quick FYI. If you're looking to put those coolazz sequential turn signal lights (that mount in outer mirrors), if YOU"VE got a USA built one, you're chit outa luck. They don't make them. YET. if ever. Trust me. I've spent well over 300 buckaroos purchasing, receiving/taking my mirror assemblies apart, only to find out even when they are advertised to guarantee to fit, alas, not even close.
USA built bugs are totally different. I've all but given up.
If you to go bugsagogo (in japan), they at least LIST then as NOT fitting USA built cars.

Good luck. have fun.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts