NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '01 TDI for a week now and I can't wait to make some comsetic mods. I'm in the garage right now and I can't figure out how to get the gear shift knob off - any suggestions?

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
If you have the manual transmission .. here is a how to.

1) Full the boot over the shift knob.. the base will remain attatched.

2) You will see a brass collar around the base of the shift knob.

3) Either pry off the collar with a screwdriver or cut it off with a dremel. I just pried mine off.

4) pull the knob and boot straight off.

Easy as 1-2-3... err 1-2-3-4 :lol:

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
i'll just post the auto howto just in case (and in case they wanna make this a sticky):

1. put your E-brake on (in case it slips into gear).
2. pull straight down on the collar attached to the bottom of the knob to detach it (see picture for clarification).
2. squeeze in on the button on the side.
4. pull straight up on knob with force (lots the first time). (watch out for your hand hitting the center console, too.)

re-install is exact reverse.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
ha! I finally found the directions for the auto. [evil laugh]gwahahahaha[/evil laugh]:firedevil

·
Registered
51 Posts
I`d like to change the flaking shifter boot

My 5 speeds leatherette boot is flaking and looks cheesey...\

I got a replacememnt boot off ebay......Is there a way to remove my shifter knob and be able to replace it ???:confused:

I dont like the sound of prying off the clip or cutting it with a dremel tool....

Thanks in advance !!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
manoverboard987 said:
i'll just post the auto howto just in case (and in case they wanna make this a sticky):

2. pull straight down on the collar attached to the bottom of the knob to detach it (see picture for clarification).
4. pull straight up on knob with force (lots the first time). (watch out for your hand hitting the center console, too.)

is there any recomended after market shift knob?
something that looks similar to the new R32 tiptronic maybe???

·
Registered
112 Posts

I'm trying to take out and paint my whole center console.When I follow your steps all I get to is the bottom part pulled down and some springs exposed on the shaft.The knobs and side button are still connected.(Automatic)How do I take it COMPLETLY off? any tips?

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
You're talking about the gear shift LEVER in your AUTOMATIC.
This How-To is for the gear shift kmob and boot that are in the MANUAL version. Sorry I don't know the AUTO, but maybe someone else will chime in :)

·
Sex Deprived 4 ur Freedom
94 Posts
If you have the manual transmission .. here is a how to.

1) Full the boot over the shift knob.. the base will remain attatched.

2) You will see a brass collar around the base of the shift knob.

3) Either pry off the collar with a screwdriver or cut it off with a dremel. I just pried mine off.

4) pull the knob and boot straight off.

Easy as 1-2-3... err 1-2-3-4 :lol:

Did you ever get the brass collar back on? && How in the world did you get that baby off? I can't get it to budge. :(

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Question about replacing a Manual Transmission shift Knob. I have a pretty nice weighted Shift knob from my Audi TT which I would like to install on my Beetle. First of all will it fit? and if so how do I attach it? Once you cut that Brass ring to get the old shift knob off how do you get the shift knob to stay in place? I wish they would have made it easier to replace the damn shift knob. In an Audi you just screw the thing off and replace. This Beetle thing sounds like they don't want you to replace the knob.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
110 Posts
It is easy. That 'brass ring' is just a one time crimped connector that you can buy from harbor freight or other hardware supply. If you don't have one its just a matter of using a small hose clamp instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts