NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my daughter has a radio fuse out.
Her battery went out (while at college) I had a person put in a new battery but I think somebody tried to jump it off but got cables mised up. She said battery was smokeing.

After I had new battery installed, the radio did not come on. No power, nothing about CODE, no lights nothing.. Tonight I checked fuses 37,42 they were fine. I was told there is a fuse at back of the radio/cd player. You have to remove radio to change it.

I got pic on how to change my head lights and it worked fine.. Anybody got any pics/spoon feed the guy on how to get his radio OUT.

PLEASE O please.. she is home 2 days.
99 Green slimy BUG that she loves.
Thanks
Fatdaddy
Jackson Tenn

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
It's rather easy.

Go to your dealership and purchase a set of radio removal tools. (some car audio places might have some as well)

They simply insert into the two slots at the bottom of the head unit and you push out (away from the center) and pull out. The first motion locks the keys in place and moves the springs that are holding the radio in and the second motion (out) pulls the unit out.

Pic of the radio removal keys...I think the item # is 1C0-051-530

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
Alternatively you could try asking the service department if they could quickly pull the head unit for you - I have seen many people say they have done this and their dealers didn't have a problem pulling it and only took a few seconds.

I couldn't find good pics of the back of the head unit or photos I had taken with the keys inserted...but they really are easy to use if you get them. I think I paid $13 for mine, but I have heard as little as $8...and there is one other style - looks different, but works just as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
I found this thread originally posted by Steinola on the old Org...

There are actually a couple of fuses to check...
on the main fuse panel, #42 and #37.

But there's also a fuse on the back of the headunit itself. Check 37 and 42 first... and if they look okay, then you'll want to check the fuse on the headunit. You'd need to pull it out of the dash. To do that, you either need to buy or fashion some radio removal tools. You can buy them at the dealer, or most any car stereo install shop (and some parts places like AutoZone as well). Or you can fashion some from an old hacksaw blade, a couple of fingernail files, or even an old credit card.

Pull the headunit out of the dash, and check/replace the fuse that's in the area right around all the connectors.

Any of the three fuses mentioned might be okay, but may need to be reseated to reestablish a good connection. Just pull 'em and and push them back in.

Also, there's a possibility that, even if it's the fuses, you may need to enter the radio security code to get it out of locked mode. You'll know this is the case if the headunit display comes on, but just says something like "locked" or "safe" or "code" rather than a station frequency.

There's also a chance, however, that the problem is not a fuse. The headunit might just be blown.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK.. At worked today I called a few audio/install places.. I found a fellow who sounded pretty good. I gave him the facts.
He had not done a VW but had the key for most of them. He told me no big deal have her bring it by.. Well I called sleeping beauty about
11:30.. 'Get your hinty outta BED", Deddie Im sleeping getting much needed rest. Staying out to 3am partying is hard work.. ANYHOO

Told her go see MATT at this location, went there had to schedule a time went back. MB called I seem to know more about what to do.
Because of you guys.. He said he had a hour charge of $45.. I said fine nothing over that. I will ge her a harmonica..

Daughter called me. He changed the fuse and it light up. BUT Radio Code showed up on face. I talked with him, told him I would have to get the code from the stealer. He said he prob could do it, but if I to instructions that would help.. I said OK fine
Well Five min later girl called back said
"Dad the radio booted back up on is one I'm singing again, I luv u Dad" She loves me when I'm shelling out cabbage.. Ok all is fine
ANOTHER CALL... Dad I was leaveing and the
Check Engine and Battery ligh is on!!
Ok pumpkin go back in ask him if he has a vag meeter. She cuts Bug off goes back in. He comes out with her.. Turns Bug on and both lighs are OFF.. I get another call and the END.. All is well, everybody plays everybody wins. Cept DAD $48.75.. If we were at the stealer it might have been double..

Thank yall for guideing me in the right direction.. Also When I got home at 7pm from work.. I got a big smooch and thank you.
I pulled her bug in the garage and changed the air filter. Learned that last week from this site, pic and all...
This Bug had 88K and still going strong, thanks to this site. I bet I have saved a few
thousand bucks over the years.. Ok yea it was wrecked on time. I put new air bags, modulator, replaced some skins. She hit man hole cover. Took out Oil pan.. Air bag is still on from that one..

·
120,000+ miles
1,423 Posts
Glad to hear all has worked out and the Beetle has tunes again - question for ya tho - was the audio place a local type shop or one of the big names? Perhaps for those of us who find oursleves in the predicament of not having the code would also be served by a local audio shop and dealers will go back to giving out the codes for free instead of charging.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I've never been charged for a code by any dealer...hmmph. Well, other than the box of donuts and joe I bring them every time I swing through.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
was the audio place a local type shop or one of the big names? Perhaps for those of us who find

It was a small time one owner shop. I did cost $45 a hour. I was lucky it rebooted on its on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts