NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to get the airbag and all off, but what do you need to remove the Bolt that holds the Steering wheel to the pole that runs to the rack and pinion.

I read somewhere that it was a Torx T-55 Socket, can anyone confirm?

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
VW2.0Driver said:
I know how to get the airbag and all off, but what do you need to remove the Bolt that holds the Steering wheel to the pole that runs to the rack and pinion.

I read somewhere that it was a Torx T-55 Socket, can anyone confirm?
it is a big torx, and i am not at work to confirm. take that off and pull gently. if you don't you will mess up the airbag connectors. just drive to autozone and ask them if you can take the tool out to see if it's the right one. well, my autozone lets me do that... :)

jd

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
It's actually a 12 pt. triple square hex, the same size that removes the front driveshafts. I'm not at home so I can't look it up right now. I suppose a torx may fit but you risk stripping the splines in the bolt.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
You can remove the airbag. Not sure if that part of the steering wheel is attached or not.

That steering wheel logo's fastened pretty darned hardcore. Not sure what your intentions are, so I dunno.

But you can remove the airbag w/o it blowin' up... if you follow the correct proceedure.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
HI,

It IS a T-55 Torx, I removed mine countless times now and thats what I used. VW claims you should replace the bolt after five removals, just make sure you put loctite on the bolt when you are replacing it....to the other question, no you cannot access anything by removing the front cover from the steering wheel, the airbag is right behind it, you will damage the airbag if you go poking around there, the firing mechanism is behind it so you cannot trigger it by defacing it from the front.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I just checked and the bit I used is a 12mm 12 point triple square bit, KD Tools #2306. Like I mentioned previously, a Torx bit may work. The bolt is actually 12 pt. but a 6 pt. tool works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Remove steering wheel

I searched the forum on how to remove the airbag, but didn't find nothing but this thread. I hope you can help me.

I have removed the airbag on the Golf, so I tried do do similar on my Beetle but without success. I used a normal screw driver in the hole on the back of the steering wheel, but I didn't find the "hook". Is some special tool to be used?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts