NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Don't know if this is covered but I am going to show you how to remove that dang hub race

First you need an old leftover outer cv , guess you could do this on your car with the axle installed

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok so next put it into the hub backwards. This doesn't work like I intended but nevertheless it does work , bear with me. take a brass drift and force the hub on to the splines in a triangular pattern just enough to make it angry. Don't try to get it all the way down, all you want to do is stick them together tight for a few minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a caged three jaw puller. Set the jaws to the race and tighten the cage. turn the push rod till it contacts the stub axle

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a tea !

I use this same three jaw puller to push the axle out of the hub when doing spindle work as well, it also is great on my caravan flywheel, it's a good purchase - think I got it at Sears

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
hub

OKay so it's a great write up and pretty sure would help us out in the future, thanks. Perhaps maybe U should add this thread to our DIY section? just a thought.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When servicing your front wheel bearing often times that troublesome race doesn't stay with the bearing after pressing out the hub. In the event it does stay on the hub, this is how to remove it. It isn't even mentioned in the Bentley what to do in this scenario. - Bart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts