NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the coolant reservoir, the right front wheel and the wheel housing liner.

Still I was unable to find a way to remove the washer fluid tank. Do i need to remove such items as fender, headlight housing, front bumper etc?

Thanks!

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Headlights have to come out. Then you have to remove the front fenders and bumper as one piece. Its not that hard, just lots of screws. You'll need an extra person to help remove/reinstall it as it is kind of floppy when unbolted.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts
Dang...all that just to get out the washer fluid tank?! Thats rediculous.

Makes me appreciate the simplicity of our Mk1. Unscrew the top and pull it out of the bracket!

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
why bumper and fenders in one piece? why not one at a time?
Because they have to come apart as one piece. There are fasteners that hold the fenders to the bumper that cannot be accessed with them in place. Remember that the NB was created with form over function in mind.

It really isn't that bad. Once you know where everything is, 2 people could whip it off in about 10 minutes.

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Not sure - but if the coolant reservoir is the same as the expansion tank then its pretty easy to get out. No need to remove headlights or fenders. See my thread where I did my timing belt; one of the steps is removing the coolant expansion tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To remove/replace the washer fluid reservoir...

You do have to remove the front clip - fenders and bumper cover. You have to remove both fender liners, and a bunch of screws around the perimeter of the assembly.

If the washer fluid reservoir leaks, it may be the pump or grommet. The pump - similar to an A2 pump - pokes into the reservoir through a grommet. If that grommet leaks, all the fluid leaks out. If the pump leaks, all the fluid leaks out. If a hose is broken, cracked, or off, all the fluid leaks out. I doubt if your reservoir is busted.

Check that grommet and the pump. Take out the fender liner, theres a bunch of torx screws. You'll see the pump kind of embedded in the tank. Pull the pump out, and check the hose, check the grommet, check the nipple the hose pushes on to that its not microscopically cracked. To do all that, jyou don't have to remove fenders and bumper cover. To actually remove the plastic reservoir completely, the front clip has to come off.

If you're talking about the coolant reservoir, that does NOT require removal of the front clip.

Jiggs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx

thanks for the input.

definitely it is the tank, as i can see where it is cracked. the only problem was removal. now i know what i have to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts