NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2000 2.0L New Beetle. The fob has been lost for a while. All we have is the key. When I hooked up a new battery (the big one that starts the car)and turned the ignition to the on position, the alarm goes off. Is there some sequence of key turning or door openings and closings to persuade the alarm system to deactivate?

Thanks for your reply.

David Farber

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. In the interim, I'd like to disable the horn. We're in a quiet neighborhood and figuring out what to open and close with the horn going off is not very neighborly. I found expert advice saying that if you pull auxiliary relay #9, that should do the trick. However I'm having difficulty finding this relay panel. There is a reference made to finding it near the "lower instrument panel." Do you know of a photo somewhere that would make this search a bit easier. :)

Thanks for your reply.

David Farber

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Is the LED beside the driver's door lock pin working? That will indicate the status of the alarm system. If it is not flashing then the alarm is disabled and the alarm shouldn't go off.

Fuse 40 (20 Amp) on the main panel on the end of the dashboard under the driver's door is for the horn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The LED beside the lock pin is working. I tried some of the suggestion on your external link. Opening and closing the passenger door did not work. The next thing I tried was opening and closing the trunk. That did work. :)

Before we replaced the battery there were random times when entering the car did set off the alarm. But as shown in this link, it does not appear so easy to just disable the horn for the alarm. That would be the ultimate goal.

Thanks for your reply.

David Farber

1 - 5 of 5 Posts