NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
The only way with out a gauge is to look for a red light where the blue temp light is.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
If you've got an Android phone, you can install Torque and use it with a bluetooth adapter to see your temp in real time. Otherwise, yes, the light will come on, and a code will set if it is outside paramaters for awhile.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Since we're gaugeless?
Why to you ask? Do you expect you have an issue?

The temp light will turn red and your dash will beep if the engine gets too hot. BUT, if you have a coolant leak, many times there will be no coolant for the sensor to detect, so if you smell something unusual or see steam you should stop and check into things further.

Assuming you do not have a coolant leak, have an original plastic vaned water pump or a bad cooling fan(s), history says these cars more often than not will run too cold do to a soft failing thermostat.

To only way to determine your operating temp otherwise is with a scan tool of some sort that will display real time data. Not cheap, but I recommend the Launch CReaderVI. If you shop it around, you may be able to get it for slightly under $100 out of Asia. I lucked out and snagged one for just over $80 on ebay from Asia in the Fall.

Of you could consider something like the Ultra Gauge, however, I would probably consider a scan tool if you want to keep up with your car. But as I recall you were having problems with the OBD port on your car?

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why to you ask? Do you expect you have an issue?

The temp light will turn red and your dash will beep if the engine gets too hot. BUT, if you have a coolant leak, many times there will be no coolant for the sensor to detect, so if you smell something unusual or see steam you should stop and check into things further.

Assuming you do not have a coolant leak, have an original plastic vaned water pump or a bad cooling fan(s), history says these cars more often than not will run too cold do to a soft failing thermostat.

To only way to determine your operating temp otherwise is with a scan tool of some sort that will display real time data. Not cheap, but I recommend the Launch CReaderVI. If you shop it around, you may be able to get it for slightly under $100 out of Asia. I lucked out and snagged one for just over $80 on ebay from Asia in the Fall.

Of you could consider something like the Ultra Gauge, however, I would probably consider a scan tool if you want to keep up with your car. But as I recall you were having problems with the OBD port on your car?
Yes, the fuse checks out fine for the port (#12) and I took her to an audio shop but I don't think the tech knows about the K-line specifically. I have to get the OBD port problem solved fist so I can read codes. I'm definitely getting a scanner. However tomorrow I'm going to see (clear weather yay!) if I can figure out how to pull the radio and check for the K-line myself. I am told it's blue. I'm going to see if it's connected to the harness or just taped up by itself. Indy thinks it's getting power and I agree that is probably the problem since fuse #12 is functioning.

The reason why I think there's a problem is because today, again, without symptoms, the CEL came on. I double checked the fuel cap to make sure it's on right. Maybe I need a new one. We shall see in the morning if it clears itself again like it did last time; however, this is driving me nuts not to be able to read a code as to why the CEL is on (again). Last time it came on it went off on its own. There are no symptoms. I am wondering if one of the parts is bad which I had put in on her service recently for timing belt/water pump/thermostat. Right now it's a guessing game without the ability to read codes.

I've got to figure out how to tell if that K-line is getting power! :(

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Right now it's a guessing game without the ability to read codes.
You have that 100% correct. I wouldn't speculate a thing until you get codes.

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you've got an Android phone, you can install Torque and use it with a bluetooth adapter to see your temp in real time. Otherwise, yes, the light will come on, and a code will set if it is outside paramaters for awhile.
Ah! I saw those on the web! Amazing...I will take a closer look!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yes, the fuse checks out fine for the port (#12) and I took her to an audio shop but I don't think the tech knows about the K-line specifically. I have to get the OBD port problem solved fist so I can read codes. I'm definitely getting a scanner. However tomorrow I'm going to see (clear weather yay!) if I can figure out how to pull the radio and check for the K-line myself. I am told it's blue. I'm going to see if it's connected to the harness or just taped up by itself. Indy thinks it's getting power and I agree that is probably the problem since fuse #12 is functioning.

The reason why I think there's a problem is because today, again, without symptoms, the CEL came on. I double checked the fuel cap to make sure it's on right. Maybe I need a new one. We shall see in the morning if it clears itself again like it did last time; however, this is driving me nuts not to be able to read a code as to why the CEL is on (again). Last time it came on it went off on its own. There are no symptoms. I am wondering if one of the parts is bad which I had put in on her service recently for timing belt/water pump/thermostat. Right now it's a guessing game without the ability to read codes.

I've got to figure out how to tell if that K-line is getting power! :([/QUOTE

CEL will not come on for overheating only running cold and even for running cold, it does not do a good job detecting and notifying you.

As for pulling the head unit, you have an aftermarket head unit, but WATCH OUT for the stupid wiring harness, It is big and snaked in the dash and it is very hard to deal with both getting slack and even worse getting all the wiring back in the cavity so you can get the head unit back in the dash.

See this post - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/59208-tricks-installing-head-unit.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts