• Acer

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Computers

Never owned either one, but I've had an Acer, and would buy one again.
Right now I've got an Alienware, and its a very powerfull thing, but customer service is by far the worst of any company I've ever dealt with -don't ever buy one. And pass the bad news along.
Get an Acer.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I really like hp/compaq laptops and thier desktops are also getitng back to a quality that hasnt been seen from both companies in a loooong looong time.. I dont really like dells in general.

The only thing is that i hear really awful things about vista, but your SOL on that now. :D

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
The "experts" who know computer technology from the inside say Toshiba and Dell are the 2 best players in the laptop market. Hp being third. I myself, have 3 Dell laptops, being used at home or office, along with 5 Dell desktops I have in my office. They have all worked flawlessly!! http://www.techbargains.com/ is where some fabulous Dell coupons can show up. The coupons may only last a day, so you must be vigilant. Lastly, the quality perception of any laptop is the technology inside it. Unless you just need a laptop for word processing and email retrieval, stay away from Celeron and AMD processors that show up in the $499 models. The Intel Core Duo is the recommended processor along with at least 1mb RAM.....esp if you are using Windows Vista, as it needs lots of resources to work. Myself, I'd go to www.delloutlet.com to find a refurbished Dell with Win XP on it. A good Dell laptop with a 14 or 15in screen, Core Duo processor, 1mb RAM, wireless, DVD Writer, and 80mb HD can be had for under $700 if you look hard enough and are patient. If you want a 12 or 17in screen, then be prepared to pay at least $1,200 and up.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Hp was always the paradigm of business electronics but than sank to a commercial low were their stuff was retched garbage. Now though their stuff is pretty frick'n good. I am on my third HP laptop in 38 months. No fault of HP's but my realization that I needed more computing power than one could provide and my problem with keeping Kool-aid out of the other one.

My ex-wife had several Dells through work and a couple of Gateways. The Dell's were nice machines but had odd problems with things like power cord connectors that bent and stopped working and also had issues with excess heat. I'm sure with the newer processors that second problem isn't as big of a deal but I still much prefer Hewlett Packards if for no other reason than asthetics and screen clarity.

Internally they are all becoming quite simalar and you can option them out to do pretty much the same thing. For me HP just feels right (love the keyboard) and reliability has been phenomenal in all of them.

I have zero experience with Acer or Alienware so I really can't comment on those. :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm a huge Dell fan but then we have close to 1,000 Dell desktops and laptops (Optiplex and Inspirons and a few Latitudes). We have over 250 Dell server class machines as well. I've never been much of a HP fan and Compaq was the market leader in the 90s until their quality went into the dumper. Toshiba is my 2nd choice for a laptop.

A good friend of mine just got back from a technology conference where a Microsoft insider was one of the guest speakers. He was somewhat non-committal on Vista. My friend came away with the impression that you should stay away from Vista if at all possible for at least another 6 to 12 months. There were 250 people at the conference and most had the same opinion after this person spoke. From what I have seen, Vista is pretty but there are a multitude of issues.

If you must buy something right now, I'd look for a refurb Dell or Toshiba as noted above. If you have the money, I would consider a Macbook refurb or a Macbook Pro refurb. You can check the Apple website for a link to the refurb page. A lot depends on what you are trying to do. If you lean towards the Apple products, make sure that whatever software you plan to use has a counterpart on Apple before you buy. Most software has a direct counterpart or something else that will work. Some do not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vs

I spend my days as a computer technician/technical trainer for a large company. We only use Dell systems. I talk to people every day who are having problems with their home systems, and by far the worst stories are about trying to get their Hp systems fixed. My company has studies done about the statistics of what systems have what kinds of technical problems, and I have to read them all as part of my job. According to these studies, less than 2 percent of the Dell portables sold ever have to call into tech support for assistance. This percentage stays pretty constant. The percentage for HP systems tends to fluctuate with the buying cycle between 5 and 9 percent. Gateway stays at a pretty consistant 9 percent. Acer fluctuates slightly but stays around 4-5 percent. About 20 percent of the Dell and Acer customers who have to call in, have to call in more than once for the same problem, for HP that number is about 35 percent. Gateway does not seperate out those numbers.
Vista is here to stay, and is causing all manufacturers the same kinds of issues. My company will not even look at Vista for a year since it takes about that long for the major bugs to be found and worked. Unfortunately for the home user, they are probably stuck using Vista if they buy a new system. The worst of the bugs for home users will show and be resolved within the first 6 to 8 months.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
dragnfyr said:
My company will not even look at Vista for a year since it takes about that long for the major bugs to be found and worked. Unfortunately for the home user, they are probably stuck using Vista if they buy a new system. The worst of the bugs for home users will show and be resolved within the first 6 to 8 months.
I agree 100%. My company won't look at a mass deployment of Vista for at least a year. You can still buy a laptop from Dell with XP or XP Pro, but you have to get small business/business class machines and not consumer class machines. That's not a bad thing in my book. I think its a sturdier machine personally.

We do have a half dozen Dell machines with Vista installed. We are evaluating Vista and Microsoft Office 2007. I'm more scared of Office 2007 than Vista. There are even more issues there.

·
#1 Auntie
4,549 Posts
My only problem with my Dell is that the battery dies waaaay too quickly and has from the get go. It only lasts about 30 minutes. Since I don't hardly take it anywhere and it usually sits at home, I just have it plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
niki said:
My only problem with my Dell is that the battery dies waaaay too quickly and has from the get go. It only lasts about 30 minutes. Since I don't hardly take it anywhere and it usually sits at home, I just have it plugged in all the time.
Niki - I had the same issue with my Dell over the last year. I really need it to be portable so I checked Dell's website and discovered there was a more powerful battery available. The one I had was 4800 mAmps and the new one is 7200 mAmps. It lasts 4 hours which is great. You can get the right part number off of Dell and the check ebay. You can usually find a new one for less money than Dell's website.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts