NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the thing. I have lost 2 hubcaps over the last 2 years. The dealer was at fault the first time (had the brakes checked, and they put it back on wrong) and made good on their goof. The last time, which was 3 weeks ago, and I just yesterday received a replacement, was mine for not checking. It's such a pain to lose a hubcap, not to mention quite unsightly. Sorta like a missing tooth.

Anyway, how the heck do you keep them from falling off on thier own, short of checking the fit of them every time you get in the car? Are there any adjustments that can be made to them? Is there any kind of special clamps you can use to get them to stay on?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Attachments

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
my only suggestion is to check them periodically for proper fit. like during your gas fillups. and to avoid potholes like the plague. that and hard turning at speed (like in autocross and some freeway ramps especially if there is a bump in the middle of the turn) as this puts much stress on our wheel which will flex out of round causing the cap to loosen or even fly off.

I havent lost any of my plastic caps, but I have lost about 3 of my retro caps due to wonky clips and bumps in the road... I have decided to zip tie my caps to the clips and have only lost one since.. I hadnt checked the tie in a while and it had broken causing the cap to fly off when I hit a bump.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I have different rims, so the hubcap mount might be a little different.

Would a couple of spots of velcro help?

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steinola said:
I have different rims, so the hubcap mount might be a little different.

Would a couple of spots of velcro help?
Oooh.. velcro.. I never thought of that..
It does a pretty fair job of keeping my MP3CD player
in place...

Thanks for the idea. I'll give a whirl when I get time.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Are you sure you "lost" that second hubcap and someone didn't just help themselves to it? When I had mine I thought the plastic caps with that nice wire ring were one heck of a design and stayed on pretty well.

Eeyore offers good advice.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OneBadBug said:
Are you sure you "lost" that second hubcap and someone didn't just help themselves to it? When I had mine I thought the plastic caps with that nice wire ring were one heck of a design and stayed on pretty well.

Eeyore offers good advice.
No, I am 100% positive it fell off. It was on the car when I left for work in the morning, and not there when I got home later. Did not go anywhere besides the fenced-in/monitored parking lot at work and my own driveway. No other Beetles at work, and only about 25 cars in the lot. Nobody comes to mind there that could even possibly be a suspect in a possible hub-napping.

It must have fallen into the foliage on the roadside somewhere between home and work. I have looked and looked and looked, to no avail. I just finally gave up and bought another off eBay. (Dealer quoted me $47 and change - plus tax)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
boblamb58 said:
No, I am 100% positive it fell off. It was on the car when I left for work in the morning, and not there when I got home later. Did not go anywhere besides the fenced-in/monitored parking lot at work and my own driveway. No other Beetles at work, and only about 25 cars in the lot. Nobody comes to mind there that could even possibly be a suspect in a possible hub-napping.

It must have fallen into the foliage on the roadside somewhere between home and work. I have looked and looked and looked, to no avail. I just finally gave up and bought another off eBay. (Dealer quoted me $47 and change - plus tax)
Wow $47 for one? I bought 3 from my garage for $16.55 each.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
captbp said:
Wow $47 for one? I bought 3 from my garage for $16.55 each.
Yes, that is what the dealer said. Plus tax. I passed on that one. After you take out the shipping charge I paid to buy one off eBay, I paid about $20 for mine.

·
be weird
23 Posts
well - I used to have this problem - and mine was caused by my agressive driving and lots of nasty railroad crossings. I ditched hubcaps all together, got my fiance to powder coat my rims black and never had that problem again!
(btw - velcro might not be the best idea - it doesn't hold up well to stress and brake dust will cause it to let go)
your other option is to try sometime old salt flat racers used to do which is to drill and tap the edge of the rim and screw the hubcap to the rim - ba*$#d to get off in the rain if you need to change a flat but it'll keep the hubcap on. (tricky as hell - my fiance said he did it once ot twice for racers but he's never tried it on a street car)

good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts