NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly good luck to anyone around it.:(

I know Hurricanes are a norm in the U.S. but listening to Obama, and the once in a decade storm. I was wondering, will the Hudson River be affected ? As in do Hurricanes have the power to raise river levels high enough to make them a problem ? :eek:

·
Registered
406 Posts
i think the news is making a big deal but last night i went to get batteries and candles and all store's Were out my buddy just bought a generator in case the lights go out and Con Edison is on stand by to repair downed lines. just got the bug Irene proofed rain-xed the windows and waxed it and probably going to put in the hospital garage (indoors and pay) im in the Westchester county suburbs of NYC but i see .org member Fast and Furious is in Shaolin AKA Staten Island which is a borough of the city i hope all is well with him as they get hit pretty hard as well,

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Thank you Blugg for starting this thread. :bigthumb: I was going to start one to keep track of all of our fellow orgers in her path.

I have said this on a couple of other posts, but you can never say it enough. Please be careful everyone. I will be thinking of all of you during this time. I know some of you are hard headed like me and will stick it out as long as you can. Snap those pics and take those videos, but when the time comes, please hunker down. I don't want to hear of any misfortunes to my friends. :)

I watched our local news last night and our power company had a convoy headed east to help out. I'm glad to see that as we had a lot of help from others a month ago. :D

Orgers in Irene's path, please check in and keep us updated if you can. Good luck to all of you. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
thanks opelmania, the storm looked like it was nothing for a while i couldn't sleep Saturday night wondering what was coming to town and it came and we loss electricity for about 4-5 hours but it came back and then the winds came and whoa between that and rivers flooding, man i gotta hand it to the people down south that have to live this every year only i know they have it alot worse than what we had , all in all my Bug is safe from the storm

·
Registered
668 Posts
Firstly good luck to anyone around it.:(

As in do Hurricanes have the power to raise river levels high enough to make them a problem ? :eek:
Yes depending on the strength of the storm and the size of the storm surge it can cause a major problem. This storm caused more damage by the storm surge more than anything else. It was unfortunately a bad storm for the area it hit, however it could have been much worse.......

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
well, Irene was a pain, but could've been a whole lot worse if it'd come ashore in NC at a 2 or higher. A fair amount of rain, lots of wind.

Lost an oak tree that fell harmlessly between my house and my neighbors. One of my coworkers was not as fortunate...took a similar sized tree thru the roof of his house. He'll be living in a hotel until his house is repaired.

Lost power in VA at noonish on Saturday. Power restored just this evening (between 6:15 and 7:30) thanks to Dominion Virginia Power...sure made my day a lot brighter...the out of town power crews have been a huge help, and locals have been very appreciative of the help.

anyway, just an update from my corner of the earth...still lots of folks without power, and hopefully they'll have it back by the weekend. :)

Warren

·
Registered
589 Posts
Irene was a hard hit here. My family and I are fine and go really lucky. I had a sand and rock slide out of the property behind me that filled my yard and pool. I look at it as, I always wanted to live on a sandy beach and now I do. At least until it's cleaned up. My sister had water in the basement, but again it could have been much worse. The other side of the town I live was buried in flood waters. Here it was not the wind that was the issue as much as the rain.

Vermont overall did not fair so well from Irene, most of Vermont is devastated. It's just unbelievable. There are still 11 towns without access at all, the people are totally cut off, no power, no running water, the roads and bridges in and out are gone. There are roads and bridges that just don't exist any more. There isn't one part of little Vermont that didn't have massive damage. It's so hard to explain, the pictures coming out of Vermont are horrid, but they don't even begin to show the whole story.

The Vermont people are strong and in the communities that are cut off, they are taking care of their own. The Air and Army National Guards and FEMA have started air lifting supplies into those towns and the towns are rationing the supplies. Stories are coming out of each town of businesses/homes with power and supplies holding cook outs and dinners for those in the community, shoveling mud from each others homes, housing those who have lost everything and just doing what people should do. It's just typical Vermont fashion, take care of your neighbor. The National Guard has also gone into some of these towns with helicopters and evacuated the seriously ill, those needing dialysis etc. People are driving as close as possible to the isolated towns with medications and necessities for people and it's either getting walked in from that point or brought in from those who have ATV's. Vermont will rebuild. The landscape will be forever changed, but the people will not.

I am very proud to be a Vermonter, always have been, but especially now. The people are helping each other, they are not breaking into homes and stealing from one another, they are helping each other, when supplies are dropped they are patiently waiting for their share, as it's distributed by the town, it's nothing like the images you see from other parts of the country when disaster hits.

Prayers welcome!

From Calvin Coolidge in 1928 after the last major flood.
"Vermont is a state I love. I could not look upon the peaks of Ascutney, Killington, Mansfield and Equinox Without being moved in a way that no other scene could move me. It was here that I first saw the light of day; Here I received my bride; Here my dead lie, pillowed on the loving breast of our everlasting hills. I love Vermont because of her hills and valleys, Her scenery and invigorating climate, but most of all because of her indomitable people. They are a race of pioneers who have almost beggared themselves to serve others. If the spirit of liberty should vanish in other parts of the union and support of our institutions should languish, It could all be replenished from the generous store held by the people Of this brave little state of Vermont."

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am very thankful to come from such a place. We are grateful that FEMA was sent in so quickly and that the President declared the entire state a federal disaster on Monday, but before they all rolled in, we were already rebuilding and getting food and supplies to those who need it most. It is great that the Federal Government is willing to help out, but little Vermont was on its way to recovery before they arrived. We are thankful they are here. There are quite a few Facebook pages that have been started to help people get route information, see who needs what, and how and where to walk it in or run it in on off road vehicles. It's an amazing thing.

Here are a couple other links to photos:
30 Incredible Photos Of Irene's Destruction In Vermont

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports- - Home WCAX.com

Burlington, VT & Plattsburgh, NY News and Weather, NewsChannel 5 - WPTZ

We are expecting more storms headed our way, not what we want to here, we have been lucky that since Monday it has been dry and sunny, which does help.

Penny

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Your spirit and the workings of your State and Local infrastuctures raise the bar for all of us.

Hang in there and stay safe! Best of luck to ALL of you!

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
In Raleigh, we didn't get much of anything. We were out of town over the weekend and other than lots of leaves and pine needles everywhere, you couldn't really tell anything happened. On the coast is another story. Lots of flooding of course. But on the Outer Banks, a portion of highway was completely breached. This highway, Highway 12, is the only road for those on Hatteras Island to use to get to the mainland and other parts of the Outer Banks. These photos tell you a lot: Irene damage to NC Highway 12 :: WRAL.com There is a ferry that serves the mainland to Hatteras, but if anyone leaves the island, they aren't allowed back yet because it hasn't been deemed safe at this point.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Good to see the community rallying and helping each other out! That is how it should be. When we got buried in snow this past winter, that's what our block did. We dug out everyone on the street. It is nice to see such positive things come out of such a devasting event. :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
We have been very busy up here in Vermont. We have Route 4 reopened which means we can travel East and West from my area with a 1.5 hour detour. There is so much progress in the recovery. Thanks to VTRans, Vermont National Guard and National Guard Units from other states and local contractors this major state road has reopened. Route 4 was literally gone in a couple spots and in 15 days it is now open. We drove the length of it Saturday, the devastation along the way is so sad to see. There are houses off their foundation and completely knocked down, cars and trucks in the river beds, bridges that were washed down stream now on the side of the streams. It's a sad sight to say the least. I think there are only a couple towns left that you can't get in or out of on any sort of motorized vehicle. Progress is great! I am so proud of my little state and those who has given so much of their time to help others. I am so grateful to all those National Guard Units (and their families) for coming here to help!

Here are some areal shots taken 13 days after. Vermont Flood / Irene Hi-Res Gallery - September 12, 2011

We are gearing up, packing tonight actually, to leave tomorrow for H20i, we are stopping in CT and NJ on the way and will be in Ocean City on Friday.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have been very busy up here in Vermont. We have Route 4 reopened which means we can travel East and West from my area with a 1.5 hour detour. There is so much progress in the recovery. Thanks to VTRans, Vermont National Guard and National Guard Units from other states and local contractors this major state road has reopened. Route 4 was literally gone in a couple spots and in 15 days it is now open. We drove the length of it Saturday, the devastation along the way is so sad to see. There are houses off their foundation and completely knocked down, cars and trucks in the river beds, bridges that were washed down stream now on the side of the streams. It's a sad sight to say the least. I think there are only a couple towns left that you can't get in or out of on any sort of motorized vehicle. Progress is great! I am so proud of my little state and those who has given so much of their time to help others. I am so grateful to all those National Guard Units (and their families) for coming here to help!

Here are some areal shots taken 13 days after. Vermont Flood / Irene Hi-Res Gallery - September 12, 2011

We are gearing up, packing tonight actually, to leave tomorrow for H20i, we are stopping in CT and NJ on the way and will be in Ocean City on Friday.
Rains have brought more flash flooding and there is rain in the forecast for the next 5 days in Vermont.

Here is a link to some pictures for the air
Vermont Flood Hi-Res Gallery - August 2011
Thankyou for posting the link to the photo's. Over this side of the pond we don't get to see anything other than what's on the news for when it was heading towards you. Then back to national news.
The photo's look like where you are is an amazing place, the more photo's i got down the page, the more destruction. I hope everyone is ok there. Looks all a bit overwhelming. Thanks again and have fun where your going. If it's a fun vacation.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts