NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my vents have been blowing hot air regardless of the setting (ac on/off, temp knob cold/hot). I had the ac checked out and the diagnosis so far is that the blend door has an issue. So I disassembled the dash (GREAT DIY on this site) and got to a part that had small plastic fins broken off. It seems this hinge is what attaches the blend door to the control levers. So I am in the process of locating a replacement assembly but I have a few questions:
1) how difficult is it to remove/reinstall this assembly (assuming I have to separate the ac and heater units)?
2) the dealer price is $580 but I have found a parts place that can ship it for $175 (to Las Vegas). Any parts people who can get me a better price?
3) would it be easier to bypass the heater until winter? Not sure how much has to come out in order to do this??

I would prefer to fix the problem but if replacing the assembly is something only a professional should do then I am hesitant to start messing with it.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update(7/26)

I wanted to make sure that I understood all that was involved with this job so I took my time doing research. It was a good thing too because, thanks to some diligence by my friend, he found TWO threads talking about this very issue. Apparently, the whole assembly is not necessary to replace this part (thanks dealership and parts store, I have some phone calls to make Monday) it is actually a $10 part that can be ordered online. The part number is 1H0819136. I will enclose pictures as soon as it arrives.

Just another reason to love my Beetle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see it as part of my research. This was the problem. I am glad I did my research before I started buying parts. A cheap fix and I am back rolling with chilly cold air. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts