NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After losing Wilson, my 2001 NB, in a collision with a deer, I decided to try to find a TDI NB with a manual transmission. I spent a little over a week searching for the right one but every time I found one, they were either too far away or too expensive. One day I looked on Auto Trader and found a Harvest Moon Beige manual TDI in Dallas, TX with low mileage and a great price. I called the dealership to see if she was available and the rest is history! Her name is Freya.:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
AWESOME!!!! Welcome back to an upgraded New Beetle! :party:

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
WOW! Congratulations :)

You acted so fast; now you have a new Beetle for you :thup:
It is very sweet!

I like the name Freya. I supposed that the name has Scandinavian origin, so I decided to search more info... I was right:

Freyja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Norse mythology it is a goddess, associated with love, beauty and fertility etc. It is the most beautiful of all goddesses :)

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D Thanks guys! Today was my first time ever driving a car with a manual transmission. Needless to say, I stalled the poor thing at least a dozen time before I finally got rolling in 1st gear.:eek: Shifting is easy, braking is easy but starting from a stop and reversing without stalling is a pain in the :moon:. After about 20 minutes of instruction from my mom, I took Freya for a short drive alone around the block and only stalled twice. I'm determined to learn how to drive her and I don't care how long it takes.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
You'll get the hang of it soon. The VW 5-speed is the easiest manual to drive. You will be a pro quicker than you think. :)

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Yes, a manual will become second nature in no time. When you get as old as me, you may want to return to an automatic. :D I really like the Harvest Moon Beige color, too!

Fallon: How's it going? I remember you well from Roswell, too!
I'm looking forward to 2013 already. I still have my Cyber Green 2000, but I'm looking to trade my 2007 Passat in so I'll have TWO Beetles!

A 2012 would be nice, but now there are lots of late model NBs out there with low miles that are thousands of dollars less. The main hurdle? My wife..............:rolleyes:

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mechanic just got done checking her over and he said she is in mint condition. The only things she will need replaced in the near future is the timing belt and water pump but I expected that. He said she will be a great little car and it was a miracle I was able to get her for that price. I think I was just lucky. I found her on Autotrader just minutes after they posted her, called to be sure she was still available, faxed them my proof of insurance to show I was serious and picked her up the next day. I couldn't be happier with my decision to get a TDI. She's so different than Wilson, not just engine and transmission-wise of course, but in so many other ways. It's like our NB's have their own individual personalities.:)

·
My lil fallen Angel <3
1,099 Posts
Congrads on finding ur new beetle!!!

And that dealership near where I live!!

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Love it!

Good luck and many safe miles with Freya! :cool:

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm loving this little car more and more and am getting much better at driving a 5-speed.:D I took her out for a drive tonight and a neighbor stopped me and said I have a rear sidemarker bulb out. I found out what bulb I need to buy but couldn't find anything that tells me how to take out the sidemarker lens. I sat out in the garage trying to take them out but I'm afraid I will crack the lens or scratch my bumper. Can anyone help me out here?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm loving this little car more and more and am getting much better at driving a 5-speed.:D I took her out for a drive tonight and a neighbor stopped me and said I have a rear sidemarker bulb out. I found out what bulb I need to buy but couldn't find anything that tells me how to take out the sidemarker lens. I sat out in the garage trying to take them out but I'm afraid I will crack the lens or scratch my bumper. Can anyone help me out here?
From the How-to and DIY gurus -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/3575-how-replace-change-bulbs-side-markers.html

By the book...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks MORAV, I guess I'll change the bulbs this weekend when I detail her. She needs to be claybarred and waxed.
Glad to hear you're doing the claybar and wax. Have you done the top yet? Or the leather seats?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts