NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Opinion:

A friend of mine is looking to unload a hydraulic jack. She knows i'm looking to play Joe-car-guy and offered it to me. I think it's one of those like at the tire changing joints with the round portion.

My question, would it be safe to use on my Beetle? Should i take the jack? It's free after all. I just don't want to do any harm to the car. Where would i place such a jack?

Let me know my loyal Beetle buddies. I told her i'd answer her by the end of the day. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Old cars had a massive steel frame that could support the car from any point. Modern cars have computer assisted design to where parts do not have excessive strength. The jack point is designed to lift the car. Placing a floor jack at the wrong point will damage the car. Specifically to the NB I cannot say, but personally I would only use the factory jack in the factory prescribed manner to avoid damaging either of my Beetles. (I hurt a Beetle, it's female owner will hurt me.)

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
if you are concerned, box it up and ship it to me :), Ill use it..

there is plenty of room for a hydraulic jack on the beetle.
look for the corrugated area inside the pinch weld on the bottom behind the front wheels of the car, this is where you lift with a jack like this.

iirc, there is a similiar place for lifting the back, but DO NOT lift on the part that looks like a box beam, it is just there to protect the fuel lines (which come out of it about halfway to the front of the car) and WILL NOT support the car.

good luck! wish I could score a good sized hydraulic jack for free.. :banghead:

·
Registered
16 Posts
How about somebody puts up pictures showing us where to place a hydraulic floor jack both front and rear. I have found the spots before, but I also crunched a little of the rocker panel in the front one time putting it in the wrong place.

Would be good to have photos.

Thanks!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shuffs said:
How about somebody puts up pictures showing us where to place a hydraulic floor jack both front and rear. I have found the spots before, but I also crunched a little of the rocker panel in the front one time putting it in the wrong place.

Would be good to have photos.

Thanks!
hear hear! :D

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Take it for sure Fine. I wish I had a large dished jack, would have come in handy w/the transmission work.

I've seen some jack pads, those would come in handy if you don't wanna scratch up the bottom of the bug.

I know ECS has some "ES#2583".

noR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts