VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my haste to buy a good deal i found, I bought a lemon! In retrospect I realize I paid a too much for my 2000 vw tdi beetle, then put a huge amount of work into new suspension, brakes, control arms, timing belt water pump and fluid changes. I knew about some minor damage the car had from a previous accident but didn't know how severe it was. So today I found out the frame is damaged to the point the transmission drive shaft alignment is out and causing grinding in the gears. So it looks like I'm getting the frame fixed or have to look for a donor car. i'm in so far financially I am basically committed to finishing this or loose 5g's:mad:
Any encouragement is welcomed at this point

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Dealer sale, or private?

Eithe way, it really was your call to get it meticulously inspected before buying. Sorry. :eek:

But, it's a TDI, and repairing it should be worth it. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, agreed. I rushed into it and didn't do my homework before the purchase. its a bitter pill to swallow and a tough lesson to learn. I won't make that mistake again, maybe this post will help someone else before they make the same mistake.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Best thing I could point to?

There is a 2003 Yellow Beetle on RT 31 near where I work that is for sale.

$6995.00 is the asking price. Yeah sure it's from a dealership of used cars. But gotta figure 7 grand for a used car?

And you've got a TDI!! The one car that will drive people nuts when they find out what the mileage you are getting :p

It's a rough road, but it's worth it in the long run. Just show it more love then the prior owner that left you all the surprises.

S-

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Does the car take a front end alignment? It is hard for me to wrap my head around this one. The motor and transmission, basically hang from the frame rails in these cars. Then it is held from swinging by the dogbone mount that is connected to the subframe.
There is tons of room side to side for the axles to slide in and out as the suspension goes over bumps. That thing should be tearing up CV axles way before it tears up the transmission internals... ???
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
152 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I bought 04 beetle tdi with a DSG trans that was bad. The one shop I checked with told me that they could rebuild it for $1800. I based my purchase on that info and before it was done I had to spend $4900 to get it back on the road. I'm into this car for almost $8500 and still has to have new brake rotors and a couple tires. The 40/50 mpg's clouded my good sense.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does the car take a front end alignment? It is hard for me to wrap my head around this one. The motor and transmission, basically hang from the frame rails in these cars. Then it is held from swinging by the dogbone mount that is connected to the subframe.
There is tons of room side to side for the axles to slide in and out as the suspension goes over bumps. That thing should be tearing up CV axles way before it tears up the transmission internals... ???
What i was told is that the passengers side frame rail is pushed inward about 1/2" behind the front wheel and between 1 - 1 1/2" in front of the wheel. What was happening is when ever I turned left the right front wheel made a grinding sound except when I pushed in the clutch. I don't know if it's damaged the differential gearing for sure but the sound has been getting progressively worse especially since I've been replacing parts like the strut. The transmission guy i took it too said the drivetrain alignment is off as well as the front strut. I'm in a bit over my head, I'm waiting til Monday to hear from a collision shops estimate to bend the frame and if it's even possible. To answer your question, I tried to get an alignment done and I was told it wasn't possible because of the frame, then I took it somewhere else and they were glad to take my money but I suspect I got screwed because they said they did but the car is pulling to the left so I'm sure they didn't do it right! !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same thing happened to me. I bought 04 beetle tdi with a DSG trans that was bad. The one shop I checked with told me that they could rebuild it for $1800. I based my purchase on that info and before it was done I had to spend $4900 to get it back on the road. I'm into this car for almost $8500 and still has to have new brake rotors and a couple tires. The 40/50 mpg's clouded my good sense.
I feel you Joep, it's a slippery slope and repairs can get expensive quickly. I'll be able to make a decision better after I have more info about the frame on Monday. This will sure make me wiser when purchasing anything in the future. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best thing I could point to?

There is a 2003 Yellow Beetle on RT 31 near where I work that is for sale.

$6995.00 is the asking price. Yeah sure it's from a dealership of used cars. But gotta figure 7 grand for a used car?

And you've got a TDI!! The one car that will drive people nuts when they find out what the mileage you are getting :p

It's a rough road, but it's worth it in the long run. Just show it more love then the prior owner that left you all the surprises.

S-
Thanks for the encouragement, i just love the smell of diesel, the sound of the engine and the torque these great little cars create. You cant beat the fuel economy for sure and I find the bug is a fun car to drive. It's good to remember why we buy these little cars!

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's feels expensive to keep it going, but even though I've put about $10,000+ into the bug over the last few years it is still far less than the cost of a new vehicle. Especially the cost of a new VW TDI which are always in high demand and carry a double premium price, once from VW and then again from the dealer which doesn't have to offer any incentives to sell.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here in Charlotte NC, we have 3 different VW dealers and there is some competition. My son bought his wife a new Jetta TDI for about $3000 off sticker. The new ones have so much EPA stuff on them that there isn't much you can do to them. The older ones are easier to fly below the radar when it comes to modifying them.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Focus on the positive. Everyday people lose their entire life savings, because of dishonest people. I am dealing with a situation similar to yours, but a house with a leaking roof! Unfortunately, the world we live in is full of dishonest people. We really have to watch every step we take, to protect ourselves, and our love ones. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Focus on the positive. Everyday people lose their entire life savings, because of dishonest people. I am dealing with a situation similar to yours, but a house with a leaking roof! Unfortunately, the world we live in is full of dishonest people. We really have to watch every step we take, to protect ourselves, and our love ones. :)

Prim502street, thanks for such a thoughtful post. It's often too easy to get caught up and focus on the negative. I appreciate your message and it has definitely put things into perspective for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts