VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter recently turned 16 and wanted to get her something other than the average cavalier/cobalt for back/fourth to school.

A dealer picked me up a 1999 yellow bug at an auction recently. very nice looking car with 116,000 miles.

It needed a couple minor things...Yesterday I was driving it and it was making a front end howl. I thought Bearing so I brought it to my mechanic and he told me the tires were shot. Put some fresh cooper CS4's on.
Very disappointed when i got on the highway and the howl is still there. driving straight or making left turns it is there slight turn to the right and it goes away...So i am thinking right front bearing.
It is mostly used in town, Once the weather turns nice again I plan on replacing both front bearings.
For now she has a cute little car to cruise around in

Attachments

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Sweet looking little "bug"er.

Suspension "howl" is at times tires or wheel bearings. There are a few other causes as well, but normally tires/bearings. One trick the local Monro showed me was to jack the front end up..car in no gear (manual, should work with autos in neutral) He then spun the tire on each side with his hand-no gloves!- on the upper spring. It seems the slightest 'rumble' from the bad wheel bearings will transfer the harmonics..and the coil spring picks them up very well.

And you're correct. Replace one side? Might as well do 'em both. Our Tiburon did the same thing. Drivers side crapped out--and then the passenger side failed a couple of months later. (Of course the car then got backed into by a truck...so that was the end...)

Let us know if we can be of any help! I'm still learning A LOT about these little German Designed critters. Great resources here!

S-

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Welcome from Jacksonville, FL :wave2:

Congrats on picking up a beetle for your daughter. Yep, sounds like the ol wheel bearings. I concur; with all the miles on the bug, might as well get both of em replaced.

Hope you can get your daughter involved in our forum. Lots of youngsters getting involved in not only a new beetle, but the community that helps keep it running. She'll take great pride in knowing the workings of her vehicle; good knowledge for her automotive future.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts